Dias Ukulele

peanuts56

Reaction score
I was watching a rerun of Antiques Roadshow earlier today. A woman brought in an Augusto Dias ukulele that had belonged to her mother. The mom had lived in Hawaii, the ukulele was built in 1895 and was appraised for 15k.

I hadn't heard of it so I quickly googled Augusto Dias ukulele. Would this be where that round shaped headstock originates?

I hadn't heard of it so I quickly googled Augusto Dias ukulele. Would this be where that round shaped headstock originates?

Could be but not sure. Dias was one of the 3 individuals who set up shop making ukuleles after arriving in Hawaii in 1878 or 79. Jose Do Espirito Santo and Manuel Nunes were the other two. Nunes mentored Sam Kamaka who eventually set up his own business. Sam Jr and Fred Kamaka eventually took over Kamaka after their father passed away. Sam and and Fred are still living and are well into their 90's. I saw Sam Jr about a year ago at an event in Kaneohe with his son Chris. Sam walks with a walker but is doing well, he got up to sing a number with Chris, Herb Ohta Jr and Bryan Tolentino. I believe Fred still gets to the Kamaka shop most days to greet customers and people who tour the facility.

I was watching a rerun of Antiques Roadshow earlier today. A woman brought in an Augusto Dias ukulele that had belonged to her mother. The mom had lived in Hawaii, the ukulele was built in 1895 and was appraised for 15k.

Now all she has to do is find a seller who will prove that "expert" right. :D

From Shawn Yacavone -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UO6VKaMBc4

The Roadshow appraisal -
https://video.westtnpbs.org/video/appraisal-augusto-dias-ukulele-ca-1895-0rstvb/

Last edited:

From Shawn Yacavone -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UO6VKaMBc4

The Roadshow appraisal -
https://video.westtnpbs.org/video/appraisal-augusto-dias-ukulele-ca-1895-0rstvb/

So true Jerry. One of the instrument appraisers they use is a Hawaii guy. His name is David Bonsey and he's based out of NYC now. His father was an Episcopal priest and served at the church in Honolulu that my wife grew up attending.
I think this guy that evaluated the Dias Uke is from Gryphon Strings in California. I was impressed that he pronounced it correctly.
I checked out the youtube link you provided. Lot's of vintage instruments there. I love Herb Jr's playing, he's so relaxed when he plays. I sat a few feet away from him last November at a restaurant he was playing at. No wasted motion or tension in his playing.

Yeah, the video with Herb Otha, Jr. has a slightly older, and far, far better condition Dias... And even that was slipping out of tune while he was playing it.

I'd go with an appraisal from only two places for a Made In Hawaii ukulele of that vintage: Sandor Nagyszalanczy, or the Bishop Museum.

I'm sure there are many others who could give a close-to-accurate or accurate appraisal, but I don't know any of them in my neck of the woods.

Plus, that Dias on the Roadshow (three years ago - did she find a buyer?) needs way too much work to be safely playable, to me. I'd rather have something I can play.

-Kurt​

I'd like to be able to afford a 15k wall hanger.

Aloha,

I’m the lady on the Antiques Roadshow with the Dias ukulele. Mom and I donated it to the Bishop Museum who appraised it for the same value. All’s well that ends well.

Aloha,

I’m the lady on the Antiques Roadshow with the Dias ukulele. Mom and I donated it to the Bishop Museum who appraised it for the same value. All’s well that ends well.

Wonderful to hear the end of the story concerning the Dias ukulele. Very thoughtful and generous of you to donate it to the Bishop Museum, where it can hopefully be seen by many.
Mike

Is this in the US? I'm a brit, Antiques Roadshow is a long running show here in England.

Top Bottom