restoration decal

eculuke

Reaction score
I noticed this kamaka vintage pineapple uke on ebay. I have one just like it except mine is missing the pineapple decal. It says in the post that it was restored and the decal added. Im wondering what material its made of and type of decal to stay on long term. You guys have any idea?

Thanks
Luke

s-l1600.jpg

If I were going to do something like that I'd use a waterslide decal. I found a few images of kamaka ukuleles with the pineapple on them and to me, they look like waterslide decals. Here's an example:

https://reverb.com/item/7929525-kamaka-pineapple-ukulele-1920s-natural-pineapple

The damage on that one looks very much like a peeling waterslide.

And here's a page from kamaka that shows some:

http://www.kamakahawaii.com/about/historic-kamaka-ukes.html

It's pretty easy to home-print waterslide decals and there are a ton of vendors on places like Etsy who will print your design for a fee, which can be helpful if you want colors or effects that are harder to do at home (i.e. metallic ink). This is what guitar builders usually would use when doing "restoration" decals, i.e. the Fender logo on a headstock. They need to be buried under finish but it's a pretty easy process once you've learned it.

But upon zooming in on your photo, that doesn't look like a waterslide to me. The white outline around the image makes it look more like it's just a vinyl or paper sticker. The "real" ones don't have that white border. Maybe you could reach out to the person who listed it on eBay and see how they did it?

I read a how-to article on making a decal...tho I never tried it.
Using a color printer, tape a piece of white tissue paper (the kind that gifts come wrapped in) on to a sheet of copy paper. Print the decal. Carefully cut out the decal and glue it down with whatever finish you are going to use.

Ask the seller how he did that. I wonder if that's a decal or a sticker. If you can find a good picture of it, you can save it print it on shiny sticky paper from Amazon. I've made many that way, and I put them on uke cases.

Page 7.jpg

I think waterslide might be my best option. Now I have to have a good stock image to work with....most are covered by strings

Top Bottom