Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kanelia Oha Series

Default Kanelia Oha Series

I noticed these ukuleles from Kanelia at a somewhat lower price. They have Koa tops and Mahogany back and sides.

I'd love to hear from someone who has one or has played one. Any thoughts or comments?
    Kamaka (S) Gold Label, Bonanza (C) Cherry Oreo, Pono (T) mahogany, KoAloha (T), Kala (B) Cedar top/Acacia laminate.

Yes, I would be interested, too. I saw them on Uke Republics website
    TomtheBaptist

Kamaka HF-1 Standard
    Kamaka HF-3 Tenor
    Collings UCK1 Concert
    Collings UT1 Concert
    LoPrinzi Soprano Custom Spanish Cypress and Spruce
    Loprinzi AC-T Tenor with MISI Pickup
    Pops Opio Concert Pineapple Sunday
    Martin D18
    Martin 00015-SM
    Santa Cruz OM/PW
    Composite Acoustic Legacy Carbon Fiber
    Ahlambra 5P Classical
    Bob Thomason Butternut/Walnut Mountain Dulcimer
    New Harmony Butternut/Walnut Mountain Dulcimer
    Merv Rowley Myrtle Mountain Dulcimer

I have played the concert oha briefly in a store, some time ago. I remembered that it was extremely light in weight. It sounded, if I remembered correctly, it is chimey with a bell like tone. The volume and sustain are all there, expected of a Kanile’a build with the new bracing system.

However, personally I can’t really bond with it as it doesn’t really look like a Kanile’a. I would want to see a ebony headstock, glossy finish and such. Also it felt weird to me, for admiring the curly koa pattern on the top and if I look at the sides and back, it’s a bit disappointing to see the plain hog wood. Understood that it is the cheaper/ entry version. So for me, I would rather save more and go straight for the real deal. Just my 2 cent worth.
    aNueNue Moon Bird US200 || Kamaka HF-1 || Martin S-1 Uke || Eddy Finn EFTS-20-S || Kala KA-SLNG || Martin C1K Uke || Yamaha GL1
    Check out my ukulele themed paintings in UU forum thread

Thanks. I'm sort of let down that it doesn't have the famous Kanile'a gloss finish but the headstock doesn't bother me and despite being plain I do like the sound of mahogany ukuleles or at least the one I own.

The real deal with standard koa seems to cost almost twice as much as the Oha but I get your point.
    Kamaka (S) Gold Label, Bonanza (C) Cherry Oreo, Pono (T) mahogany, KoAloha (T), Kala (B) Cedar top/Acacia laminate.

Realistically, the OHA ukuleles are made more for playing than for looking it. A lot of players prefer the satin finish that is less sticky or slippery than gloss.

I don't own a Kanile’a Oha but have played several at HMS at they're okay but not my cup 'o tea. The tenors I tried were rather bright and thin sounding and I preferred the sound of the Kala Elite models in the same price range. I'm not a Kanile’a hater by any means—own a K-1 Preminum super tenor—and really like it. As for the satin finish—too noisy for close mic recording. Gloss is less prone to noise where your arm touches, albeit satin on the neck is less noisy than gloss...

There's an older thread on these here, where you can find numerous video reviews and some UU comments.

In this review in Ukulelemag, it is suggested that the Oha may not project with volume as well its glossy bretheren.

But it is not a loud instrument. The first time I played the ukulele was at an acoustic gig at a busy restaurant and the volume of conversations and clinking glasses simply swallowed up the sound of the instrument. Usually I can dig in and get the volume I need from a uke, but that didn’t really work. I would figure out a pickup or a mic before I tried it again. A few days later, I brought the ukulele to a jam session with a dozen or so folks playing folk and American songbook tunes. And again, the sweet subtle tone of the ukulele was mostly lost on the crowd. But when the Kanile`a was heard over the bluegrass-tinged din of a Journey hit, it just sounded lovely.

Interesting topic. I would've thought that the sound of the Oha models would be very close to the standard koa models but apparently not. I find it really surprising that the sound is thinnier and brighter compared to the standard models because a satin finish often makes the sound of a uke less bright than a gloss finished uke. I wonder if there's some build aspect that can't be garnered from the specs alone.

The reviews I have come across, both in print and on video, tend to mention that it is more 'woody' than the more expensive gloss-finish Kanile'as.

Maybe those who say it's 'thinner' really mean that it's not as loud across the frequency range...

Thread Information