Kanelia Oha Series

Very nice ukes. Wood vibrations in Las Vegas? Correct! I like the white dots also. I’m ok with walnut, or ebony, or richlite and rosewood for finger board. I’m surprised rosewood showing up on this model given past restriction. Black dots were ok also.

Hi there,

Yes, my store Wood Vibrations Music is located in Las Vegas, we ship anywhere in the U.S. and will be offering international shipping very soon.

I have spoke with Kaimana at Kanile’a, these changes will be the standard features for the OHA models going into 2021.

These new models are really great, I was pleasantly surprised by them. Since Cites restrictions have eased on most rosewoods they can be used again, hooray!

The two OHA tenors listed on my site are from the very first batch with these updated features :)

Have a great week!

Hi there,

Yes, my store Wood Vibrations Music is located in Las Vegas, we ship anywhere in the U.S. and will be offering international shipping very soon.

I have spoke with Kaimana at Kanile’a, these changes will be the standard features for the OHA models going into 2021.

These new models are really great, I was pleasantly surprised by them. Since Cites restrictions have eased on most rosewoods they can be used again, hooray!

The two OHA tenors listed on my site are from the very first batch with these updated features :)

Have a great week!

I really appreciate the info. It's nice to have an industry insider here among us. :)

The fingerboard and bridge for those Oha models are still listed as walnut but I do have to wonder if that's actually true. There's discussion above that Kanile'a would be switching the walnut to rosewood and it looks to me that all the new Oha models might have rosewood fingerboards judging by the colour. The older models had a paler fingerboard with black fret markers whereas these new ones are darker with white markers.

Hi Everyone,

The new fretboards and bridges are most definitely rosewood. Also there are two different grades of Koa for the OHA series (standard or premium).

Just received two crazy looking premium OHA super tenors in my store (sister ukes), one is already gone.

Happy Holidays!

This is a nice model. I like the white dots. I could do walnut or rosewood.........I really like Grover tuners. The satin finish for more woody tone is exactly what I personally like. Value is the key. I hope they don’t keep increasing the price. When they came out at $799.00. HMS said they did t know how they could do it and it soon went up. Now at $850 and +$100 for premium Koa they are getting close to the grand mark.

Timing has just been off for me to purchase or when a really nice Koa top comes up. They are on my radar and I will keep watching for the one for me.

Just discovered this model online .
Sounds very good in the videos I've watched but the Oha Concert Premium on their website is $1245 .
Is their an Oha Concert Standard ?

Just discovered this model online .
Sounds very good in the videos I've watched but the Oha Concert Premium on their website is $1245 .
Is their an Oha Concert Standard ?
Oh , I see a standard listed at Ukulele Puapua for $945 .
6092.ohac.25074.1_9810ca10-699e-4606-b960-6dc09224d383_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Last edited:
Realistically, the OHA ukuleles are made more for playing than for looking it. A lot of players prefer the satin finish that is less sticky or slippery than gloss.
I don't find most gloss finishes to be slippery. I find them Sticky. Satin feels slippery, to me. That's why all my uke's necks are satin or bare.

Whoa! The price of the Oha is creeping up to the Kanile'a range.

It is/was meant to be competitive with the Ko'Aloha Opio line. And the Rebels.
I had a chance to briefly strum one ; first impression was it sounded thin .
I've also read that criticism about this model .

Whoa! The price of the Oha is creeping up to the Kanile'a range.

It is/was meant to be competitive with the Ko'Aloha Opio line. And the Rebels.
I don't think it was ever meant to be that affordable but the idea was for Kanile'a to offer a quality instrument sub $1000. Now it's nowhere near that. The recent price increases for Kanile'a have been a bit extreme in my opinion. Others have increased prices as well but not nearly as much. I understand the reasons behind the increase but you still need to be competitive and I'd say Kanile'a are not, at least not with their basic K1 and Oha models and the like.

I don't think it was ever meant to be that affordable but the idea was for Kanile'a to offer a quality instrument sub $1000. Now it's nowhere near that. The recent price increases for Kanile'a have been a bit extreme in my opinion. Others have increased prices as well but not nearly as much. I understand the reasons behind the increase but you still need to be competitive and I'd say Kanile'a are not, at least not with their basic K1 and Oha models and the like.
From Harvard Business Review :
It’s one of the most fundamental decisions that every business must make: What price should I charge? The right answer to that question is a company should charge “what the market will bear” — in other words, the highest price that customers will pay.

Tenor was $795 2 years ago

My impression two years ago was Oha was to compete with Pono and Opio, keep in under a grand by a few hundred. Andrew said in video cast at $799 he didn’t expect it to last. Then pandemic, yada yad, now all the inflationary issue with supply chain, Russia-Ukraine war…. I believe they price pointed it correctly At the time. Modest increases ok but then the premium wood top started pulling prices way up. For those prices you might as well get a satin, regular KT1 tenor. I liked the idea also if the walnut fretboard and like woods to get around Cities restrictions. Now things are crazy in grocery store. Fortunately I have enough ukuleles so now window shop all the nice new models but only seriously look at used, well priced models. I do like the Koa top and mahogany sides etc aspect of this model. I didn’t mind black wooden dirt or whatever they used prior to MOP if it kep the cost down. Reality is, Oha cost same to build. Reality, you price to what people will pay! I’d bet an Oha used at a descent price but not running out to drop $1100 plus for one right now.

My impression two years ago was Oha was to compete with Pono and Opio, keep in under a grand by a few hundred. Andrew said in video cast at $799 he didn’t expect it to last. Then pandemic, yada yad, now all the inflationary issue with supply chain, Russia-Ukraine war…. I believe they price pointed it correctly At the time. Modest increases ok but then the premium wood top started pulling prices way up. For those prices you might as well get a satin, regular KT1 tenor. I liked the idea also if the walnut fretboard and like woods to get around Cities restrictions. Now things are crazy in grocery store. Fortunately I have enough ukuleles so now window shop all the nice new models but only seriously look at used, well priced models. I do like the Koa top and mahogany sides etc aspect of this model. I didn’t mind black wooden dirt or whatever they used prior to MOP if it kep the cost down. Reality is, Oha cost same to build. Reality, you price to what people will pay! I’d bet an Oha used at a descent price but not running out to drop $1100 plus for one right now.
This basic OHA concert is available at $945 street price including case .
https://ukulelepuapua.com/products/kanileʻa-oha-concert

This sold out OHA Tenor was priced at $995 including case .
https://ukulelepuapua.com/products/kanilea-ohatenor

Last edited:
I don't find the idea of Hawaiian makers using imported woods very appealing, actually I have an overall preference for ukes built with "local" woods. In a simplistic view, this should also protect to some extent from global supply issues and price increase above overall inflationary trends.

I have an Oha Super Tenor that I got from The Ukulele Site a couple of years ago, and I really love mine. With a solid Koa top and solid Mahogany back & sides, it has a clear and focused tone that seems a little brighter and a bit less mellow than an all-Koa instrument, and the UV natural finish gives it an open, woody sound. The price was under a grand and it came with a hard-shell case (at that time), so I'm a happy member of the Oha ohana! 🤙

kanile_a_oha-stp_23504-3.jpg

Top Bottom