Sawing by Hand

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I've heard rumors that people used to cut wood without power tools, and I'm about to give it a try. : )

The headstock on my tennis racket uke is too wide for either my bench saw or bandsaw. The table saw is really out of the question because of the racket end. The bandsaw doesn't go up quite high enough.

Tomorrow, I'll see if I can clamp it into a vice and start cutting. Pictures to follow - depending. :)

Sure you can cut by hand. Just remember to use a rip-saw if you are sawing with the grain. Using a cross-cut saw could get ugly.

If you don't do this regularly, can you rig up a guide block to keep the cut properly lined up? That's what I would do. And/or plan for a fair amount of cleanup with a hand plane or whatever to get to a smooth, true face.

If you don't do this regularly, can you rig up a guide block to keep the cut properly lined up? That's what I would do. And/or plan for a fair amount of cleanup with a hand plane or whatever to get to a smooth, true face.

I'll have to rig something to keep the cut from angling one way or the other. I was thinking of something like a large miter box. I began this project in April, when I bought a few old rackets. I spend a lot of time mulling it over in my head before I tackle the next part. The body is finished, and the neck is widened. The next step is to cut the angle and shape for the headstock. I'd like to have the headstock reflect the shape of the body - big racket and little racket.

Years ago before I had any Woodwork power tools I decided to make my first ukulele out of an old mahogany panel door using an old rip saw...I used the side frame for the sides And decided to cut the top and back from one of the panels..I started by sawing a 12mm deep groove all around the edge first to guide the saw blade then I started sawing and rotating the panel as I got deeper and deeper...All was going fine and I was almost there when I discovered the panel was MDF with a mahogany veneer :(. The method worked tho

Last edited:
Years ago before I had any Woodwork power tools I decided to make my first ukulele out of an old mahogany panel door using an old rip saw...I used the side frame for the sides And decided to cut the top and back from one of the panels..I started by sawing a 12mm deep groove all around the edge first to guide the saw blade then I started sawing and rotating the panel as I got deeper and deeper...All was going fine and I was almost there when I discovered the panel was MDF with a mahogany veneer :(. The method worked tho

Funny. I made my first cigar box uke out of a nicely papered cedar cigar box. One of the last things I did was cut the sound hole. That's when I discovered that the top was made of compressed cardboard. I later removed that top and replaced it with solid wood from another box.

Top Bottom