Tom Lehrer fans

Arcy

Strummin' in the Rain
Reaction score
The Professor released all his music into Public Domain today. Many include sheet music (primarily piano + vocal with chords atop). Some are just lyrics (particularly where he reused somebody else's music).

https://tomlehrersongs.com/

Big fan. I have most of his albums and his book of music. I'll have to check out if there's anything I'm missing.

Thanks for posting this.

Now I'm going to go finish poisoning the pigeons in the park...

That is fantastic news. He's just right up there with Cole Porter in terms of clever, fun and funny lyrics.

"I Got It From Agnes" is a favorite and it is the perfect, dark and funny "community spread" anthem, if such a thing can be funny at all. But Lehrer dealt in no-holes-barred humor and I believe he'd agree.

Thanks so much for the link.

Bluesy

He's just right up there with Cole Porter in terms of clever, fun and funny lyrics.
I may be losing the point trying to come up with chord-melody arrangements, but *I* hear the lyrics even if they aren't sung out loud.

I may be losing the point trying to come up with chord-melody arrangements, but *I* hear the lyrics even if they aren't sung out loud.

Thanks for this thread!. He's always been one of my favorites. I also have an album or two and his song book. A piano playing math professor with a very funny, warped mind. What's not to love. :D

I agree there's no need to sing while working on chord-melody; Chuckling to yourself should be enough. Looking at his piano arrangements could also help.

I was introduced to Tom in 1966 at Hamilton Teachers' College when our Math prof played Tom's New Math for us.
My friend's dad also had a Tom Lehrer LP which we enjoyed.
When I met Maggie in 1979, she had a Tom Lehrer LP in her collection.
We have since bought a boxed CD collection of The Complete Tom Lehrer.
Thanks for letting us know about this Arcy.

I was introduced to Tom in 1966 at Hamilton Teachers' College when our Math prof played Tom's New Math for us.
My friend's dad also had a Tom Lehrer LP which we enjoyed.
When I met Maggie in 1979, she had a Tom Lehrer LP in her collection.
We have since bought a boxed CD collection of The Complete Tom Lehrer.
Thanks for letting us know about this Arcy.

Believe it or not, A younger friend who is currently teaching math in college had absolutely no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned "New Math".

A lot of consultants have made a lot of money coming up with "better" ways of teaching math. Seems like every three to five years a new system is introduced. Rarely with any improved results. But hey, they have calculators to rely on...

Pollution, pollution. Don't drink the water and don't breathe the air!

Ha! You just sent "The Irish Ballad" running through my head. I still have this tiny album in my stack. It was so weird (lyrics and size) that I couldn't get rid of it. My dad liked him

Last edited:
My club's Zoom jam this evening is having a Halloween theme night, and we're doing "I Hold Your Hand In Mine" and "I Got it From Agnes". Neither of them are easy to play, or well known, but they are just so right for the occasion.

In particular, check out this hilarious "Coronavirus" Edition of "I Got it From Agnes" on YouTube by Broadway Barbara - really well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoHZINyt3co

Top Bottom