Cases to fit Vintage pineapple?

dcbrown

Reaction score
Hi....I'm a new member and this is my first post. I was fortunate enough to find a ca1930s Kamaka pineapple uke at a local historical society fundraising sale. With only $15 into it, I figured I can at least splurge on a decent case for it. Any recommendations for a hard case that would fit?

Dave

Hello Dave, and welcome.

You could try a rectangular hard case. I've got several of them. Very useful for pineapples, cigar box ukes etc. The one in the picture is branded 'Boston Case Co'.

John ColterPineapple in 'Boston' case.jpg

Can anyone verify that the Ohana soprano pineapple case will fit an old Kamaka? The inside dimensions they give are very close. No extra room at all.

Make sure the case is deep enough. If not, it is possible to latch the lid down, putting pressure on the bridge.

John Colter

Alternatively, for a truly custom fit, you can take the Ralph Shaw approach:

Snug is good. Cramped is bad. If the interior measurements will allow the uke to fit inside, you'll be okay. If you need 8 1/2", and your uke is 8 3/4", thought could be a bad fit. On the other hand, how was the case measurement made? Was that soft inner padding compressed to make the measurement. or was it measured uncompressed? If I recall, I think my pineapples are in soprano cases. It's easy enough to take up the slack inside a case. Find some flexible foam and wrap it in fabric matching the interior.

Better yet, rip out the interior and make a custom interior for your pineapple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWRfFB3Pz3o

Or -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0_kn3ds-J4

Not knowing how the measurement was made is the problem for sure. The manufacturer gives an inside length of 21- 1/4". If the measurement is with the plush lining completely uncompressed I might be OK. But the uke measure exactly 21-1/4. So no room for error. I was hoping someone would have experience with that exact case and instrument combination. Guess I'm not that lucky! I can't find any other moderately priced hard cases that are shaped for a pineapple. I may just roll the dice and try it.

Kamaka pineapple in Ohana hard case

I can now confirm that the Ohana Soprano Pineapple case fits a vintage Kamaka pineapple. The online description made it sound like there was the potential for it not to fit, but it was really not close at all. There is a good 1/2" of extra length. I may even add a little extra foam. This is not a plush lined case, but it has a nice hard shell, a perfect fit for the pineapple, and a soft foam lining.

These cases are currently on sale through a major online seller.

IMG_20201029_133321279~2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20201029_133330233.jpg
    IMG_20201029_133330233.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 8
That looks like a really good fit. Congrats! I might have to get one of those.

John Colter

Top Bottom