Your Favorite Sounding Custom Ukulele

It sounds and looks lovely. I can understand why the sound sample got you. How soon will you have it?
Enjoy it!
I just ordered it yesterday, so depends on setup and shipping. Would love to get it this weekend or early next week.

That is an ultimate endorsement! Hearing a recording of an ukulele and deciding to buy when ukes are played back to back! Did you receive it? Please do a NUD thread.
I haven't done a NUD post before! I'll have to try and do this one justice.

This question made me realize that of the 5 customs I've had done, they were only for look, not at all for sound. I find that my 9 ukes, custom or off the shelf, are so close in sound and playability, that the look is what differentiates them.

The first custom I had done 7 years ago was a gypsy jazz style all solid, flame maple top, Indian rosewood body. When I first played it, I thought it didn't have the projection or sustain I wanted, but after about 18 months, it opened up and now it sounds great.

The most recent custom by the same builder is very different, and like Jim's uke, does not have a top sound hole, but has small sound holes all the way around the bouts plus a larger one in the cutaway. I've been told it has lots of projection. It's all solid, spalted mango top and flame mango body with spalted mango binding.

Gypsy full 800.jpg

Spalted done montage 800.jpg

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers
Mike- I hope all is well, sir. I have no pics to post but thank you for posting these handsome ukes. I especially like the varied-diameter fret position inlays in the topmost pic. That's not something I've seen before. Was that a detail you specified and, if so, do you mind sharing the circle diameters from largest to smallest, either in this thread or as a PM?

Mike- I hope all is well, sir. I have no pics to post but thank you for posting these handsome ukes. I especially like the varied-diameter fret position inlays in the topmost pic. That's not something I've seen before. Was that a detail you specified and, if so, do you mind sharing the circle diameters from largest to smallest, either in this thread or as a PM?
As far as I remember (it's been over 7 years), that's the way Bruce built it, not my spec. Don't know the diameters since I don't have it anymore.

I've got two customs (a Jupiter Sycamore/Redwood Tenor and a Beansprout Walnut/POC Tenor). Both are excellent instruments and I have no regrets about either. Looks-wise, the Jupiter is the sexiest, but sound-wise, the Beansprout is the star of the show. I swear it almost plays itself.

Beansprout Tenor
265184754_4880694578617478_5732418521193128011_n-small.jpg

Here's the Jupiter:
IMG_7303_small.jpg

I designed and built my own custom/bespoke uke. It's the only one I have or have ever heard (in a live context) or played. So, by default it is my favorite and the best that I've ever heard or played in my entire life. Honduran Mahogany back, sides, top and neck. Ebony fretboard, bridge and tuners. Rosewood saddle and nut.

My favorite custom uke that I have played is my custom Kimo Super Tenor. It has a redwood top and rosewood back and sides. It is warm and powerful, but it is also very clear and articulate.
index.php

I've got two customs (a Jupiter Sycamore/Redwood Tenor and a Beansprout Walnut/POC Tenor). Both are excellent instruments and I have no regrets about either. Looks-wise, the Jupiter is the sexiest, but sound-wise, the Beansprout is the star of the show. I swear it almost plays itself.

Beansprout Tenor
View attachment 143909

Here's the Jupiter:
View attachment 143911

Beansprout Tenor
View attachment 143909

Here's the Jupiter:
View attachment 143911
Hi I know this is from some time ago, but any sound cli[s for your Jupiter? I'm considering his builds. Thanks if you can & understand if you can't

Top Bottom