Humidifier UAS syndrome?

mikelz777

Reaction score
I just got all my humidifiers ready for the oncoming dry season and found I have 1 extra humidifier. Time to buy a new uke?! :D

I just got all my humidifiers ready for the oncoming dry season and found I have 1 extra humidifier. Time to buy a new uke?! :D

Believe it or not, that is a danger. :D

I'm thankful for the composite and laminate ukes I have that done require humidification. I gather all the woodies together to maintain them over the winter. I like the D'Addario Humidipak - and similar - that don't require weekly fillings.

Ruh roh! I have a room humidifier without any ukuleles in the room. Time to start lookin' :uhoh:

The humidity has dropped here to the low 40%. I have evaporator room humidifiers going I keep the humidity around 45%. Any more and the windows get condensation on them.

Believe it or not, I do have some ukuleles that don't like humidity over 43%. And others that prefer 50+%. I keep the odd tenros in cases with a Boveda or D'Addario humidifier pack. Warning! New packs are at 50%, used ones towards the end of their life are 42%-ish. Which works fine for most. I have found that keeping the 1 pack inside the body of the uke is too much for most of them. So I have them above the heel. I've read that keeping the humidifier in the head of the case isn't as effective because the compartment restricts the air flow in the case.

I might be jumping the gun a bit with starting my humidifiers. Humidity levels in the house have been 42-44% Rh the last couple of days and I see our outdoor temps will be dipping into the 20's in less than a week before going back up into the mid 30's. Right now Rh readings are at 47-48% Rh in the house so I don't need the humidifiers even though I put them in already. I guess I'm paranoid because I left my solid mahogany uke out once when Rh was borderline (high 30s- 40% Rh) and it developed a hairline crack.

I might be jumping the gun a bit with starting my humidifiers. Humidity levels in the house have been 42-44% Rh the last couple of days and I see our outdoor temps will be dipping into the 20's in less than a week before going back up into the mid 30's. Right now Rh readings are at 47-48% Rh in the house so I don't need the humidifiers even though I put them in already. I guess I'm paranoid because I left my solid mahogany uke out once when Rh was borderline (high 30s- 40% Rh) and it developed a hairline crack.

I bought about a dozen small hygrometers from Amazon as a set, and they give a good indication of what's going on inside the case. I doubt that the humidity would vary much from case to case.

I bought about a dozen small hygrometers from Amazon as a set, and they give a good indication of what's going on inside the case. I doubt that the humidity would vary much from case to case.

I just did the same thing, purchasing 5 small hygrometers from AliExpress. I think the total for the hygrometers and batteries was about $8 so it was a pretty small investment. I've had them sitting out over the last 2 weeks and I've been taking daily readings and they've all been within 1-3% Rh of each other which is within the expected accuracy range of these things. That's good enough to let me know that if the Rh of my cases is hitting the low 40's then I should be taking some kind of action.

If humidifier-induced UAS is a thing, then does that mean those of us with whole-house humidification systems are allowed an infinite number of ukuleles? (or at least enough to fill the house?)

Asking for a friend...

I have it on reliable authority that the origin story of the ukulele is a myth created by an obsessive health care professional who, having been frustrated in his desire to have everyone live with proper humidity in their home, came up with a devious plan.

Simply put, ukuleles are an accessory to humidifiers.

The whole logic of the thing is dubious at best. If you have an extra pillow does that mean you should buy another bed?

The whole line of reasoning makes little sense to me.

If humidifier-induced UAS is a thing, then does that mean those of us with whole-house humidification systems are allowed an infinite number of ukuleles? (or at least enough to fill the house?)

Asking for a friend...

Maybe the ruling there is no more ukes than the house's average Rh points for the year which would probably be somewhere in the 30's or 40's. :D

I just put a large number of Ukes into long term storage, waiting it out while we build a new house. I opted for

Hey! Where’s the rest of my post?

I have it on reliable authority that the origin story of the ukulele is a myth created by an obsessive health care professional who, having been frustrated in his desire to have everyone live with proper humidity in their home, came up with a devious plan.

Simply put, ukuleles are an accessory to humidifiers.

The whole logic of the thing is dubious at best. If you have an extra pillow does that mean you should buy another bed?

The whole line of reasoning makes little sense to me.

No, nobody buys a bed just because of an extra pillow; a bed can always use an extra pillow.

However, you shouldn't put more humidifiers inside a case than required.
Therefore, to fully utilize that extra humidifier, you should buy an extra case for it.
And to fully utilize that brand-new case, you should buy a uke for it.

Makes perfect sense.

Top Bottom