A String Owie

Kenn2018

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Dang!

I changed the strings on my aNueNue last night and the A-string snapped and drew blood.

First time I've ever had that happen with a set of Living Waters strings. And I've strung my tenors 50 or more times with them.

[Well except the time when I over-tightened the string too much.]

Usually, I bring the A and High-G to tune in stages so they have time to stretch out. But I was in a hurry... :(

That smarts!

I was changing my mandolin strings once, and a string snapped and whipped me in the face. I'd brought my head down to listen better. I started wearing safety glasses after that.

Restringing can be risky if you hurry. I met a guitar picker (Pat Enwright) in Nashville who put his eye out like that. Take your time. If you need it for a gig, best to have a backup uke.

Dang!

Usually, I bring the A and High-G to tune in stages so they have time to stretch out. But I was in a hurry... :(

That smarts!

Sorry to say, but......
Perhaps it’s more appropriate to say.....
That dumbs!

Sorry, sorry, sorry....

Dang!

I changed the strings on my aNueNue last night and the A-string snapped and drew blood.

First time I've ever had that happen with a set of Living Waters strings. And I've strung my tenors 50 or more times with them.

[Well except the time when I over-tightened the string too much.]

That smarts!
Ouch.. I've never had that happen with a uke string. With guitar strings (steel) I seem to draw blood about every time I change them...Thankfully that isn't too often with Elixir strings...Plus, I don't play a lot of guitar these days.

Restringing can be risky if you hurry. I met a guitar picker (Pat Enwright) in Nashville who put his eye out like that. Take your time. If you need it for a gig, best to have a backup uke.
Whoa. I'm glad I wear glasses usually. I have had a guitar string hit me in the glasses.

The 1st and 4th strings on fluorocarbon sets are so thin that I'm always really paranoid they're going to snap. Luckily, thus far that's only happened with a banjo uke that had a really sharp tail piece.

Ouchies all over the place!
Once, while tuning, I broke the wooden tailpiece on my fiddle. It flew up, banged me on the chin, I saw stars. There was a helluva pop when the bridge fell. The sound post fell too.
I never forgot that.

Top Bottom