Concert Uke Armrest

north.music

Reaction score
Away back in 2014 there was a thread about ukulele armrests. I'm revisiting the subject.

Well, last July I had a stroke that affected my right arm and leg. I'm right handed. I am using my uke for therapy for my hand now more than pleasure. Unfortunately the stroke made my arm sensitive to touch so when I lay my arm against the edge of the uke it becomes quite uncomfortable fairly quickly. So, I need an armrest. Have any ideas developed in the last 6 years?

I also play banjo and mandolin. Both are way to complicated for my very limited hand function. Thank goodness for the uke.

Any advice? :anyone:

I got an armrest from Little Mountain Music, for my banjouke, and I love it. I had a luthier make me an armrest for one of my ukes, and it works great.
I won't ever buy another uke without a beveled armrest. My Cocobolo has one, built in, I can play it for hours.
Some people wear a thick cotton sleeve on the lower arm for this. You might want to do both.

Sorry to hear of your stroke, and subsequent issues when playing music. When I was a guitar player, I was a huge fan of the John Pearse armrests, especially the smaller Slimline version on 00 and 000 size guitars. They stick on the edge with a thin strip of adhesive, under where your arm sits, and increase the instrument's volume by 10-15%, IMO, by keeping your arm off the instrument's top, allowing the top to vibrate fully. The effect is easily discernable, even on uke without one: just bang out a chord, and lift your arm off the uke, you'll hear it get louder, especially on the larger tenor and baritone sizes. When I watch the HMS videos, especially Corey, I notice that he often does not have his arm on the uke's edge, so his technique is doing what an armrest would do. I'm not that talented. I've often wondered why armrests aren't more popular & available for ukes.

Last edited:
I’d love to see a picture of one of these arm rests on a ukulele. I’d also like to hear the difference. If anyone gets one or has one please post. I’m going to print size and radius and see how they would look on a few of my tenors. Prices seems very fair.

One of these might work: http://www.jpstrings.com/armrest.htm

I think I've seen some stick on guitar arm rests on Ebay.

Sorry to hear about your stroke. I hope the therapy works and you get back to playing your best quickly.

Top Bottom