Thread: Teaching the Writing of Lyrics

Default Teaching the Writing of Lyrics

I'm an English teacher who's putting together some lessons for an informal music class, a jam club, really.

Attached is the beginning of a lesson plan for an activity which is meant to teach the very basics of writing lyrics. I haven't finished it yet because I think it's too long already. I want to include a practice part where they get to write a song.

I'm looking for advice about advice. If you were asked about how to write lyrics, what are some of things you would include?

I was going to post the lesson plan here, but this 19 KB limit is ridiculous. I put it on google drive. Feel free to add whatever you'd like to the document directly.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZX...ysS6Jo8x65_ox9
    Blogging about a momentous life change as I switch careers and continents--> Leaving America

It looks great.
    K
    Sopranos, Concerts, and Tenors including Baritone body at a Tenor Scale - 4 String, 5 String and 8 String :-)
    For Sale: Seagull Nylon String
    For Sale: National Mahogany Resonator
    For Sale: Gold Tone Resonator

Hello,

Thanks for sharing the lesson plan. The first part is great and I like the way you made the transitions between the types of activity and integrated those into a structured plan. Have you finished it yet? Can it be used for the elementary grade level? I'm a music teacher and I wanted to create additional online courses for my students with domyhomework tasks and creative writing part for song lyrics: based on Kid Pan Alley Music (Lesson One: Pre-writing for Lyrics pdf). I think you may also try the technique of clustering to develop the skills of connecting images and ideas.

Also: from a linguistic point of view, it could be interesting to use an example of a song with an extraordinary text. Like those inspired by "nadsat" (a slang made up by Anthony Burgess in A Clockwork Orange): David Bowie's “Suffragette City”, for example.
    Last edited by RandyBonnette; 01-14-2020 at 07:50 PM. Reason: song

Ah that ESL Expat life...

I think a good next step is to have them use that song or another of their choosing, and write their own song using only that tune. They should do at least one verse and the refrain or chorus, completely unrelated to the original song, but every 2 lines must rhyme together and fill the length of the space. That's actually a really good way to start writing songs.

Or you could give them a topic or subject and they have to write a verse or a stanza to any song tune they like

And you could also have them find a song that has a lot of meaning to them, and have them write another verse and a second chorus to make the song longer, but also fits into the rest of the song
    Last edited by Tenzen; 01-29-2021 at 03:40 PM.

I am always rolling my eyes at songs that use the same old cliched rhymes like Girl-World, World-unfurled, Night-Light, Dance-Chance...etc...we all know them because they have been used to death. Be original, don't follow the herd.

Thread Information