Song Help Request My Dog Has Fleas

You don't need to be so condescending.
I imagine Hawaiians are much smarter than you give them credit. They probably put their finger on the 2nd string 5th fret and matched the note to the open 1st string. Then they put their finger on the 3rd string, 4th fret and matched the note to the open 2nd string...etc...Much like most players of fretted instruments did. I tune mine with a tuning fork, a technology that has been around long before the ukulele was ever thought about. There is no proof that the phrase My Dog Has Fleas even comes from Hawaii. You would think the mnemonic device would be in Hawaiian.

I'm Hawaiian bro, stop pandering.

Now you're just nitpicking

No, Hawaiians are extremely musically talented, moreso than any other culture on earth. It's widespread and prolific throughout the entire population.

They can just tune by ear. They don't use tunings forks or flutes or chimes or whatever else.

My dog has fleas is not Hawaiian. It's English. It's a learning aid for little kids who are learning to tune and train their ear. They don't use it for very long before they can tune by ear, far younger than you imagine. But most Hawaiians will still think that when tuning. If they speak English, and play ukulele, odds are they know my dog has fleas.

Look bro, you pretend whatever you want. I'm done arguing this point with you. You can just go about your life thinking Hawaiians had tuning forks and sheet music, idgaf,

Enjoy your life, and your own little version of reality.

Anything I do is Hawaiian bro. Lol

I'm Hawaiian.

Hawaiian is as Hawaiian does.

And Hawaiian is tired of arguing his actual Hawaiian knowledge with someone who just wants to imagine his own narrative because he can't accept the Hawaiian mana'o presented to him.

You may as well tell Thai people about Thai curry, based on your own feelings

You are welcome to repeat everything you hear without even thinking about it...because you live in a place where it was imported to. If someone told a great way to make curry, I would believe it. But if he told me one thing about the origin of the word curry, and a different Thai guy told me something else and an Indian guy told me a third thing, I would doubt that they are all correct. Even if one of them said "dude" I come from Thailand, you must believe everything I say about curry because it is my culture. That guy would be the first guy that I disbelieve.

Ya, no, the ukulele is Hawaiian, stop being diminutive and bigoted.

You can actually play a variety of other Portuguese or Spanish instruments, but none of them will be the ukulele.

And neither are stringed instruments European in origin. They come from Babylon, Persia, Mesopotamia, etc. You're welcome to go refer to the lute or lyre as origins and source material as well.

And all Curry comes from the Indian Subcontinent. And you're correct in your assertion that there are different curries in different regions. The ukulele is as unique to instruments as Thai curry is to Curry. It wouldn't make any sense to say you know something about real Thai or Massaman or Japanese curry because you can make some type of Indian curry. They're not even recognizable as similar dishes. Nobody would call them similar. It's 100% Thai, though a long time ago some Indian Buddhists brought some similar source dish to the Angkorian region along with Buddhism.

It seems like you are the one being bigoted. My mind is open and yours is closed. If someone doesn't agree with what you say, you try to bully them into accepting your opinion. The fact is, no one knows why they say "my dog has fleas" and no one know exactly why the ukulele is called a ukulele. There are many explanations, but no one knows which one is correct. You can bring up curry or lutes, lyres or Babylon, Persia or Mesopotamia, or whatever you want. You won't convince me without proof, and there is none to support your claims. Just because you want it to be true or you believe it is true doesn't make it true. Stop being such a bigoted bully. You said a while back that you were done with this topic I invite you to keep your promise.

Fascinating.

On the other hand, rather than pretending to be the world's worst Anthropologists, we could actually just go by what the most local and native stories of the indigenous peoples with the most knowledge of the culture are. That's mostly Na Po'e Ke Kuahiwi.

Or let's just make our own stuff up like some bigoted foreigners with a superiority complex, and make up our own stories because, well let's face it, nobody who knows talks to you. When you see one of the Hawaiians who might know pass by, your eyes glaze over, the flowers to your opposite side become supremely interesting until they pass you completely by, whilst a small part of you hopes your flip flops weren't flipping or flopping too loudly to be taken seriously.

Honestly, your whining can almost be plucked out in G-C-E-A

From now on, GCEA is going to just be "Mike is Whining"

So just forget everything else

Last edited:
Fascinating.

On the other hand, rather than pretending to be the world's worst Anthropologists, we could actually just go by what the most local and native stories of the indigenous peoples with the most knowledge of the culture are. That's mostly Na Po'e Ke Kuahiwi.

Or let's just make our own stuff up like some bigoted foreigners with a superiority complex, and make up our own stories because, well let's face it, nobody who knows talks to you. When you see one of the Hawaiians who might know pass by, your eyes glaze over, the flowers to your opposite side become supremely interesting until they pass you completely by, whilst a small part of you hopes your flip flops weren't flipping or flopping too loudly to be taken seriously.

Honestly, your whining can almost be plucked out in G-C-E-A

From now on, GCEA is going to just be "Mike is Whining"

So just forget everything else

Well, I guess you think this hurts my feelings. Grow up. The story I have chosen to believe was suggested by a real Hawaiian, Queen Lili’uokalani. You don't want to believe her, she was around when ukes first came to Hawaii. It seems like she has more info than you, but you choose to set it aside saying, words mean something different to her than to the rest of the people. That sounds fishy, so I don't buy it. I have no idea if you are even Hawaiian. For all I know you're a Japanese guy pretending to be Hawaiian. I really don't care. I am not telling anyone to believe what I do. Why can't you accept that you may be wrong? There is no proof one way or another. As far as why they say "My Dog Has Fleas", your entire explanation is conjecture. So you might as well say "Mike is whining" - it makes just about as much sense...but you, for some reason, think you know everything about anything Hawaiian. You are welcome to, but I'm not buying it.

You know, this was a really interesting thread before the two of you started at it.

Apparently, this forum lacks moderators. So, let me say what EVERYONE else is thinking: DROP IT! Send each other nasty private messages. We don't need to hear it.

Top Bottom