NUD: KoAloha Red Label Anniversary Silver Tenor

ghostrdr

Reaction score
I posted it on FB, but you all were here long before I posted anything on FB.

I haven't had much time to sit and play her, but here are some photos for you all...

Mango Top/Maple back and sides; Ebony Fretboard, bridge and headstock veneer. 25th anniversary inlay.

(Thanks to Mim!)

IMG_6140.jpgIMG_6142.jpgIMG_6143.jpgIMG_6150.jpgIMG_6155.jpg

Very cool looking Ko'Aloha. The blue is really eye-catching. Love the stand too.

Does it have a very bright sound to it, or does the mango mellow it down?

Very cool looking Ko'Aloha. The blue is really eye-catching. Love the stand too.

Does it have a very bright sound to it, or does the mango mellow it down?

It’s hard to describe. I need to spend more time with it. There’s a deep bass response and the whole body vibrates. The top end is clear and bright but not as round or thick as koa. Not thin or shrill, just kind of sweet(pardon the cliche). I’m not sure how to describe it.

I posted it on FB, but you all were here long before I posted anything on FB.

I haven't had much time to sit and play her, but here are some photos for you all...

Mango Top/Maple back and sides; Ebony Fretboard, bridge and headstock veneer. 25th anniversary inlay.

(Thanks to Mim!)

That's a beauty. I bet it sounds great.

Wow. I didn't know Koaloha made anything like that. That's a really unique and pretty looking instrument. Blue is one of my favorite colors. I'd never seen that headstock logo from them either that I can remember.

Thanks Jerry! The sound is different than my Koa instruments and different than the spruce top - A little hard to describe. Also, I know it's hard to judge scale and size from photos, but it is smaller bodied than some of my other ukes, but larger in sound. A bit counter-intuitive.

Wow. I didn't know Koaloha made anything like that. That's a really unique and pretty looking instrument. Blue is one of my favorite colors. I'd never seen that headstock logo from them either that I can remember.

Hi Jer. I think that logo is for their red label customs and black label customs. I was on the fence of getting an anniversary silver from the KoAloha family, and when I saw the blue color in a red label version, I couldn't resist. I guess, they made about 10 of these in varying colors. I was mighty tempted by the purple one that Mim had also.

There was a shocking pink one at HMS the other day.

Hi Jer. I think that logo is for their red label customs and black label customs. I was on the fence of getting an anniversary silver from the KoAloha family, and when I saw the blue color in a red label version, I couldn't resist. I guess, they made about 10 of these in varying colors. I was mighty tempted by the purple one that Mim had also.
Nice! So not many will be able to say they have one of these in their collection.

Did that stand come with it?

No. Haha. I bought the stand years ago. when I get home, I can post a picture of it. I emailed KoAloha and asked if I could buy a stand after seeing one. They told me they stopped making them, but they may have had a few extra lying around - they found one and then we had to figure out how to ship it, since it was an odd shape.

I also have a KoAloha Lamp too! I guess, I have a few KoAloha items in addition to a few ukes (maybe a keychain somewhere also).

Here's a pic of the stand.

View attachment 130219

That's pretty neat. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 25th Anniversary Red Labels come with a fancy case that has a clear window on the front to display the uke. But I think this stand is way cooler for displaying ukes.

Last edited:
That's pretty neat. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 25th Anniversary Red Labels come with a fancy case that has a clear window on the front to display the uke. But I think this stand is way cooler for displaying ukes.

Yes. You are correct. The case looks like a standard black case except the top has a "window" that is made of I think plexiglass for like 90% of it. the top is not arched. There are only two buckles (instead of 4 on some other cases.). There is no buckle in the middle near the handle and no buckle in the rear of the case. The buckles are colored like vintage brass. I can take some pictures of the case if you want.

So, here's my observation - KoAloha tenors are "thinner" but maybe not quite as thin as a Kala thin line for example. I had a Pono tenor and it did not fit in the KoAloha stand. The Kamaka tenor fits and the Blackbird tenor fits, but it's a tight fit (with its radiused back).

Yet, despite being "thinner" the KoAloha is really loud. I don't know how they pull off that wizardry.

Wow, seeing that took my breath away, it is gorgeous! Congrats....

Top Bottom