Lesley Fowkes my friend..

mm stan

Mystery Man
UU VIP
Reaction score
Aloha Gang it's a sad day for me.. My friend Lesley Fowkes has passed away her husband messaged to me.
Can her friends play a song for her and post it please

Sorry to hear that. Thoughts heading your way from Houston, Texas.

Thank you, Stan, for sharing this; I am absolutely devastated by this news and my heart is breaking so much! Lesley was one of the first people to reach out to me, years ago, when I joined UU. She always radiated so much light; so much goodness; so much joy for life! She always found the positive, even when things were so desperate. She reminded me to be grateful for every minute of each and every day that we are given; to look past adversity, accept challenges and find opportunities waiting. I cannot believe that she is...I cannot even bear to write it. I will always hold her close in my heart and be mindful of the gratitude I feel for her in of all the gifts that she gave to me, to this world. I will play a song for Lesley; it’s one that I wrote back in 2017 and one in which she personally told me had touched her. I will post it when I am able to... I am not sure that I can play and sing it right now given my grief.

Please tell those that you love and care for, that you love them, and care for them, deeply.

Please always be good, be kind, be respectful to/of one another...love is the way.

I never met you Lesley even though were a fellow Brummie, but I was lucky enough to have the chance to play one of your beautiful songs, Troubadour, a few years back. It saddens me greatly that you are no long with us. Rest in peace dear Lesley:(

Last edited:
I’m so very sorry to hear this news. I haven’t been around the past few years as I used to be, but Leslie was always so kind and supportive towards me. Such a sweet person. I’m glad to have had some exchanges with her over the years.

Thanks for sharing, Stan. She was indeed a wonderful soul. We'll miss her.

This is so sad.
When I first started contributing to the Seasons, Lesley was always there with encouraging words, and her warmth came through even over the wire. Soon afterwards I was lucky enough to meet her in person, at the uke festival in Huddersfield. She always seemed to be smiling, and laughter was never far away if she was around.
What I didn't know at that time was how many wonderful songs she had written. "Tread softly to the stable" is favourite with our local uke group, and we will sing it with even more feeling this year.
Sleep well my friend.

Bye, Lesley. Rest easy, dear one.

Indeed such sad news.
Rest in peace Lesley.
I have done a version of Lesley's superb carol every year since she wrote it.
I would so love her song to be taken up by the world.
Perhaps we can start by bringing lots of versions to this thread.
Here is Lesley performing her freshly written song in December 2014.

Here is the version of Lesley's beautiful carol i recorded last year.
She never failed to comment on the recordings i made of her wonderful song - here is part of her comment on this one - "Thank you for your enduring belief in it and for performing it each year, as you do... I hope I'm still around next year... With luck and a following wind, and the beast MND at bay! .. Merry Christmas to you, my friend!"

Condolences to you, her family, friends, and to everyone touched by her.

My condolences to everyone who knew her. I've heard of her, but never had any interactions with her, not being a contributor to this topic.

It looks like she is being sorely missed.

Godspeed Lesley.

Lesley was a good friend and a great ukulele player. She also wrote several wonderful songs. We first met online in the Seasons and then met up in the UK. She and I went to a few UK ukulele festivals and had some fun times together. I recorded her song "Troubador" a couple years ago when I heard she was ill. It is with a heavy heart that post this now. My condolences to her husband Martin and to all her family and friends. We will miss you Lesley.

here is a wonderful vid, that i love very much, it shows lesley singing with another dearly loved and missed seasonista, ukey dave...

So sorry to see this. Hopefully her lovely spirit is dancing with the stars ~ Here's one of her songs Linda L and I covered a few years back;

a recording i made for Lesley in 2018.
love you mate, thank you for being a beautiful friend to me
these past 8 years.
i miss you already, goodnight and love my sister. xo

That is such sad news! Thank you so much for letting us know, Stan. Like others here, I was fortunate to experience Lesley's kindness and support when I first joined the Seasons and then, when she received her devastating MND diagnosis, kept updated with her "Where Eagles Fly" post on Facebook, where she raised so much money to fight the disease and where her comments were always positive (often even humorous). She will be dearly missed! My deepest sympathy to Martin and all her Family.

Top Bottom