Amplifiers (again)

ClaireTarrant11

Reaction score
Hi
I want to buy my son an amplifier for his ukulele for Christmas.
He was given an amp some years ago, but when he plugs his ukulele in, the lower notes are very loud and the treble can hardly be heard despite what he does to adjust the bass and treble levels.
I don't want to just buy him one and have the same happen again. I was hoping someone would be able to give some recommendations. Budget is a consideration.
Thank you x

Plug into another amp first to see if the problem isn't with the pickup.

A new amp won't fix a bad pickup.

If the pickup isn't the problem, the Kustom PA50 is a pretty good acoustic amp at right around a hundred bucks. It is worth looking at. I really like the Fishman Loudboxes, but they are pricey.

You might want to check the string balance on the pickup first. It's likely an under saddle piezo design, and if the saddle doesn't sit right on the piezo strip the balance will be off, mostly commonly the first string (A) will be too soft. I've fixed many and most balance problems were due to the saddle being untrue on the bottom surface and thus not making even contact with the pickup. In such cases I'd cut a new saddle. Sometimes the saddle will bind along the edges of the saddle slot and a few swipes with a file fixed it. I've even found wood chips left in the slot and, once removed. the piezo strip and saddle meshed perfectly and string balance was good. Finally, if it's just the A and E strings cutting out, you could try a thin copper saddle shim or aluminum tape on the saddle beneath those strings. Sometimes that will increase pressure on the piezo enough to fix the balance.

But, yeah, I'm a sucker for old Trace Acoustic amps like the TA100R or the Roland Acoustic Chorus line.

Last edited:
That is brilliant. Thank you all so much for your time. I've emailed the music shop we got his ukulele from to see if they can do the necessary to sort it out.
And, if the I ukulele is OK and it is the amp, then I also have an idea of what one to buy him!
Thank you for your help xx

It is absolutely the pickup under the saddle, the white part sitting in the bridge. Take it back to the shop, they should have someone to do fixes. There is no need what-so-ever to replace the amp.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Just saw this thread.

I had exactly the same problem with a Pono tenor I purchased from HMS. I sent an email to Joel, the head of their setup & repair shop. He sent me a quick reply. He suggested that I give the top of the saddle a firm "thump" with the side/heel of my thumb!

He explained that sometimes with the detuned (looser) strings and the vibration and temperature changes during shipping, the bottom of the saddle can lose the full contact with the piezo pickup. A thump will often reseat it properly.

Which I did. And it worked perfectly. No further problems with my pickup.

I sent him an email telling him he was a genius. He did not disagree. ;)

Top Bottom