The Great American Songbook

Mike $

Reaction score
What songs do you play from the Great American Songbook?

I have been spending my time the last month or so working up songs from the Great American Songbook, you know, the jazz and pop standards from the '20s up to the '60s of Broadway, Tin Pan Alley and Hollywood and was wondering which ones you guys play that go especially well on the Uke.

I am using low G tuning and I sing along with all the songs I play and play chord solos for some of them. Here's what I am playing:

Cheek to Cheek
All of Me
Enjoy Yourself
If I Only Had a Brain
What a Wonderful World
After You've Gone
It's Only a Paper Moon
When You Wish upon a Star
Ain't She Sweet

I am working on a few more, but these I have down pretty well, How about you?

Edit Sept 3, 21:
Over the past several months, I have added a bunch of tunes to my Tin Pan Alley/Standards repertoire. Many of your suggestions are on that list and I thank those who suggested them. Here are some no one has mentioned, that I find to be pretty fun to play:
A Great Big Bunch of You, Beyond the Sea, Chicago (that toddlin' town), Give a Little Whistle, Happy Trails, Happy Birthday to You, I got Rhythm, It Don't Mean a Thing (if it ain't got that swing), It's De-Lovely, Ja-Da, Kansas City (everything's up to date), Living in the Sunlight, Loving in the Moonlight, Mary's a Grand Old Name, Nobody Knows When You're Down and Out, Once in a While, Rags to Riches, Side by Side, Singin' in the Rain, Surry with the Fringe on the Top, Take Me Out to the Ball Game, Take the A-Train, Zip A Dee Doo Dah and several Christmas/Winter classics.

Last edited:
As I am relatively new to Tip Pan Alley style of play, I am watching this thread with great interest...

Mike $, Of yours, I play Enjoy Yourself, It's Only a Paper Moon and Ain't She Sweet.

Some others I like to play that fall into that genre are: Avalon, Lulu's Back In Town, Old Rockin' Chair's Got Me, The Whiffenpoof Song, The Glory Of Love, If I Had You, My Blue Heaven, Don't Get Around Much Any More, How Come You Do Me Like You Do?, Pennies From Heaven, You Don't Know Me, Where Did Robinson Crusoe Go With Friday On Saturday Night?, Java Jive, Ain't Misbehavin', When You're Smilin', Blue Skies, Georgia, Shine On Harvest Moon, Jada, Sweet Georgia Brown, Walkin' My Baby Back Home, Chattanooga Choo Choo. . .

I don't do all of these as ukulele solos. Some I just accompany my singing (to use the term loosely) using the ukulele.

Last edited:
You've got a great list going so far. Here are some of my current favorites:

Skylark
Fly Me to The Moon
Accentuate the Positive
How High the Moon
Misty
Satin Doll
I Love You (for Sentimental Reasons)
Straighten Up and Fly Right

They provide a real left hand work out, plenty of bar chord action and endless arrangement opportunities.

Bluesy

For those interested in chord melody, Spencer Gay made arrangements and he made them available. Google Spencer Gay ukulele and you'll get his Squarespace site.
I have checked out some excerpts, but I haven't studied and practised any of them yet. I seem to remember that the arrangements are for low G.

Thank you for posting because this resource is a gold mine. For a player there's plenty of depth to plumb, for a singer there's so much potential for incorporating an instrumental interlude into an arrangement.

Bluesy

I'll just a list a few lesser-known favorites:

How Could You believe Me?
My Very Good Friend the Milkman
Shanghai Li'l
We Three (My Echo My Shadow and Me)

In the last two weeks ....,

Time After Time - 1940s - Sammy Cahn/Jules Styne
Bye Bye Blackbird
Tennessee Waltz
Stars Fell On Alabama

I love them old tunes.
So far my favorite is probably Fats Waller

Last edited:
I love them old tunes.
So far my favorite is probably Fats Waller’s “Ain’t Misbehavin”
but I often play several others as well, like “I’m an Old Cowhand (From the Rio Grande), “Try a Little Tenderness”, “Ain’t She Sweet”, “Dream a Little Dream of Me”.
I also like playing lots of newer songs, especially by The Beatles, but forcing them into that old Foxtrot tempo.... actually, “forcing them” is a bit misleading as so much of their music flows beautifully into that old groove.

Right now it’s just Paper Moon and Autumn Leaves. I need to memorize the end of Fly Me to the Moon and add it to my repertoire, but I’ve been hung up on Sway right now. Then I want to do Berlin’s “Take My Breath Away,” (far cry from the Songbook) and then some more Christmas tunes because that’s my first love musically.

But next year I hope to dedicate a lot more time to learning jazz. That’s where I really want to go with this instrument.

Top Bottom