Hricane thinline tenor evaluation (currently $72 at Amazon)

Ziret

Reaction score
I bought this last week for $80 and thought it was a good deal. Today it's still $80, but there's a 20 percent off coupon you can use, which brings it down to $72. Kind of makes me wish I needed two.

Chris/Choirguy/UkeStuff reviewed this well on YouTube against the nearly identical Kala and I was intrigued enough, after a few months of thought, to order one. The slight negative issues he had have all been addressed--and then some! As I recall, they were--

• The nut on his was cut so the strings weren't quite evenly spaced. Mine arrived cut perfectly.
  • The spruce was somewhat wide grained. Mine is as fine-grained as any spruce topped uke I've seen.
  • The fret ends on mine did not need sanding.
  • The action at the 12th fret on the one I received was 2.5--or a bit less--at the 12th fret.
  • Chris didn't care for the walnut back. I got the spalted maple and it's pretty. I thought the walnut was fine, too, though.
It's also received some upgrades in the included accessories:

• The gig bag now has a neck block/support.
  • The other supplied accessories include
    • Tuner
    • Spare strings
    • Strap
    • A single pick, a cloth to wipe down your uke after use, and a bag to put the cloth in. Just in case you don't have enough useless items in your junk drawer.
It's really impressive that in six months the company has addressed all the issues that Chris expressed in his initial review.

I'm quite happy with this uke. After a couple of days for the strings to settle in, it sounds good. I may change them out in the near future, but as of now, they're OK.

I dislike the large body size of a tenor, so this takes care of that for me, at a price I can afford. I own the Enya Nova concert, also a thinline, and it costs more, but doesn't sound nearly as good. That said, the advantage of the Enya is that it's safe from temperature and humidity variations. But I'll probably be looking for a new home for the Enya, as I have the Flight Travel uke in my trunk.

If you miss out on the coupon, at $80 it's still cheaper than the Enya--and still a really good deal. BTW I gave Amazon a call and got $16 refunded to my account, so I'm now $16 happier with this uke.

Last edited:
I bought the walnut cutaway from eBay for $75 delivered a year ago in September to auction to my uke group and donate the funds to The Ukulele Kids Club, which I do every Memorial and Labor Day at our Pot Luck Parties, but it's been sitting on hold with COVID. It's all wrapped up, but the nut looks like it's cut properly and it came with the old gig bag.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

There's a spalted maple for $90 with a 20% discount on a harmonica. They also have a mahogany for $73, with the same 20% off a harmonica. The one for $90 is slim. For $80, you can get an extra slim. If they had one more, it would be like the Goldilocks story. : )

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07Z4HWYJ2/ref=promo_pdapsinfo?ie=UTF8&psc=1&m=A2Y4CKPO3LFBGX

That spalted maple is beautifully finished, although they say it's for beginners. The mahogany for $73 is the "Professional" model. Funny.

Last edited:
Top Bottom