ID this wood?

Uke-alot

Reaction score
So funny story. Years ago I was given 6 antique table leaves for free. The table was long gone, so I took them home to save them from the dumpster. I assumed they were plainsaw oak, based on what I could see of the grain through the old stain and finish. They've been sitting in the basement, forgotten, because I'm not a big fan of plainsawn oak.

Now I'm making a frame-and-panel bed frame for my daughter (which will be painted white as the customer requested). These table leaves would be perfect to make into the panels, so tonight I started planing the finish and stain off. They're not oak (at least, the first one isn't). Looks kind of like walnut to me, but I've never worked with walnut, and I have exactly one small walnut object in the house to compare to. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

If these turn out to be walnut, I'm not using them for a painted panel. I'll be going back to the lumber yard for more poplar. And maybe there will be one or more walnut ukes in my future. :)
PXL_20201024_030214771.jpgPXL_20201024_030250741.jpgPXL_20201024_030302776.jpg

Great find! I would be very confident calling that black walnut. I agree it would be a waste to paint it! Poplar works so well for painted solid wood objects anyways and you can save the walnut for something nice!

Top Bottom