Season 454 - Epiphany (or a sudden great change) + J.M.

For Season of the Ukulele 454, here's "Yes, the River Knows", by Jim Morrison. For tenor ukulele with singing, with an overdub of Ashbory Ubass. Thanks for being a gracious host, Berni! My aspiration of getting an original in shape for posting fell short of expectations, so here's some Jimmy.

Hawaii doesn't use daylight savings time, so no changes in what midnight there is (relative to us tropical dwellers) - that means we're closing in on the final hour of the week.. whew! Just made it.

There's a one-minute yammering by me at the start...
...the 'assigned song' I refer to is the create an English version of the Myanmar song "Phyay Theint Lite"... which itself is an interpretation of a Japanese song, "Kanpai"

{title: Starseed Transmissions on a page}
[C]It was something I couldn't steer
the[Am] future filled me with fear
[F]was no place I could run
[C]from all the things that I had done
[Dm]anxiety was consuming me
so [Am]neuroticc I couldn't even pee
[Dm]That's when I picked up the[G] book
that saved my [C]life.

[C]Everything that you need,
[Am]Started chapter three,
[F]Exists in the present moment,
[C]I'd aSked and God had spoken
[Dm]nO REASON for future fear,
[Am]What you need is now and here
[Dm]And the present moment[G] is all there [C]is.

[C]It was from
this o-O-One [F]sentence and what it said
[C]regret, worry and guilt left my [G]head
[C]Reborn on that day
[F]started living in a different way
[C]Starseed trans[G]missions on a [C]page

INSTRUMENTAL
[Em]//// [Am]//// [F]//[G]//[C]////
[Em]//// [Am]//// [F]//[G]//[C]////

REPEAT VERSE 2
REPEAT CHORUS TWICE ...
SLOWLY ON LAST LINE...
BACK TO
[C] [Am] [F] [C]
[Dm] [Am] [D][G] [C]

Johnny Mercer Accentuate the Positive

I don't think I have ever written an original for the Seasons before, but there is a first time for everything. Here is my 11th hour submission.

Wow! Some of you just got in under the wire. It is now Monday in Hawaii so this season is officially closed. I am planning an end of season wrap video. In which I will announce the winner and reveal the prize. Thanks to everyone who participated. I really enjoyed the week and for those wondering what hosting is like, go ahead and try it. It really doesn't take up as much of your time as you might expect (unless you do a kamikaze A-Z like Jon a few weeks back :p.) Plus if you have any problems like how to set up Playlists, etc, then anyone who has hosted will be sure to offer you advice in a PM.

I have been on a 14km walk this morning so I am just catching up with the last of the videos for the season. I am so proud to have been the spark for such creativity and I am happy that at least two dozen songs now exist that wouldn't have done so had I not set the theme. :D :eek:

Pr

I love these lyrics. They remind me a lot of the spiritual journey that I am on

Hi all and thanks to Berni for the great season!

This is my original for this season. It's more "Not quite an epiphany", or "Tired of waiting for an epiphany" song than an EPIPHANY song, but, it's what came to me this week. I hope you enjoy it.

You Could Be Right
Liz Brinker, 2020

A E7 A E7
No, I don

Greetings,

Well, it’s been an inspiring week. Berni, thanks for hosting and being the inspiration for so many. I now plan to host again so will look ahead to the schedule.

Ciao,

Gina

Here is the wrap video for Season 454. There were so many great originals that it was difficult for me to choose a winner. So, what I did was draw up a shortlist and then from that shortlist I whittled it down to three (process explained in the video).

Here is the shortlist and the honourable mention list. If your video is on neither, then watch the wrap video to learn why.

Shortlist

Flat Baroque John - "Jamestown" Has there ever been a season with a stronger opening original song? This knocked me sideways.

Ryan "Doomsday Prepping" Or how to get deep down and personal and yet remain universal

Rob (Wee Ginga Yin) "Wonder of Wonders" - Zen Philosophy given an unmistakable Rob setting .

Lynda (BEV) "Mirror" - self realisation with echoes of Burns.

Ylle "Whisker Fatigue" - Feline epiphany? Or philosophical meditation on domesication?

Steve Phillips "Through the Door" Wonderful personal/universal song that anyone who has seen their fledglings leave the nest can identify with. This one made me weep.

Jon Duncan "Icarus" weaving between personal and mythopoeia John produces another triumphant original. Arrangement to die for too!

Tracy "Scrabble" - So Joycean in that this little everyday incident sparked a massive realisation of reality for the narrator.

Christopher Fonda "Watermelon Falls" - a whole indie movie in just a few stanzas.

Honorable Mentions

Lynda (BEV)
Lynda's love song "Now I see" a fabulous celebration of how love can change us forever.

Greyghost's "I'm Alive" a celebration of him still being with us, which becomes a more public rant about the mess we're in!

Rob (Wee Ginger Yin) "Rottweiler's on speed". Hilarious celebration of Leeds Utd

Pabrizzer "We Love You" dissecting the current political scene in the USA.

Marc H. "Epiphany, where did you go?" A country waltz that functions as a simple country love song and also a desperate plea to be enlightened (again?).

Gina S. "I'm Burning up Xmas" a reflection on that most loved and despised of holidays.

Kimi and Kev "Answer" the universal questions given a sublime arrangement and vocal in this lovely song.

Forte 555 "Outside Looking In" A hymn to introspection with one of the catchiest choruses all week.

Liz Brinker " You Could Be Right" - a timely warning about "self enlightenment" in a timeless melody that sounds like its been around since the 1950s.

Ukulele Davy "Epiphany" an epic scale ukulele Prog-Rock masterpiece.

Jo Woodstock "What Remains" - a new song very firmly in the folk revival mold.

Joko "Starseed Transmissions on the Page" - Our beloved Joko at his manic best. This epic rock opera echoes Hawkwind at their most psychedelic.

Please give them all a listen....

Well, OK if you really haven't got time to watch my wrap video, let me tell you that the shortlist was reduced to THREE - John's "Jonestown", Steve Phillips's "Through the Door" and Christopher Fonda's "Watermelon Falls".... and the winner is .... Christopher! (Please PM me with your street address).

But to find out how he won you really will have to watch the video. To find out what he won too - or else see my latest contribution to 455

thanks for a wonderful season, berni! thrilled to get mentions! so many great songs and performances this week, and that includes the covers - with joni mitchell and jim morrison in the mix, they were bound to be brill!

It was a faboulous season. Congratulations to everybody writing their own songs. Hats of to the honourable mentions. Thanks to Berni for hosting and donating such a wonderful price. Lots of fun playing your Canarian tiple, Yukio! I bet you can't wait to receive it!

Honoured to make the final three on The Berni Factor, and thank you for such an inspirational week. Christopher's winning song is in a league of its own - just incredible.

Greetings,

Wow what a wrap. Congrats to winner, mentions, and everyone basically for contributing. Thanks to Berni!

Ciao
Gina

Just listened to Chris’s tune. Totally reeled me in. A most deserving winner. And glad of a mention too. Thanks Berni!

Thanks for the mention Berni, always nice to hear kind words from a Master songsmith.

Chris is a totally worthy winner and I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I'd love to hear more originals from him!

Top Bottom