Pono Macassar Ebony and Indonesian Rosewood Pro Classic tenors are back

Hochapeafarm

Reaction score
Just checking out the latest video podcast from HMS; the Pono Pro Classic tenor with solid Cedar top and solid Macassar Ebony s/b, as well as the Pono Pro Classic tenor with solid cedar top and solid Indonesian Rosewood s/b are back. I think only 5 of the ebony models and around 10 of the rosewood models are available. Wowzers, these ukes are absolutely stunning! New Pono baritone guitalele model also available. HMS is carrying Pono guitars, now, too. Podcast at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3on1w6CZ0uo

Last edited:
Dammit, just when I thought I was out ................

New Ponos. I like the RTSH cedar/rosewood PC a lot. Nice sound. Gorgeous wood. Really looks unified and works design wise.

The ETSH(C)-PC cedar/ebony PC just doesn't do it for me. The maple binding looks totally out of place, As does the wood on the faceplate. Sounds great!

I guess they've given up on the side sound port on their "top of the line" PCs.

The guitars are pretty nice too.

I would agree re: the maple binding on the ETSH(C)-PC. I’m not as big of a fan on the high contrast of it with the Macassar Ebony, but, I still find the instrument classy-looking, and the sound is totally what does it for me. I LOVE the sound of that wood combination; it’s definitely one of my favorire combos. If I am remembering correctly, I recall Corey mentioning, in other video podcasts, that this combination is his favorite. The tenor rosewood model is absolutey gorgeous and it sounds sweet, too, but my preference is still for the Macassar Ebony, I’d say.

I can’t find these instruments listed, yet, on The Ukulele Site web site. I am curious what the price will be on those two Pro Classic tenors. I see used ones on Reverb that are 5+ years old, in decent shape, going for around $750 or higher.

Btw, The Ukulele Site is also now selling amplifiers — two models, it appears. Aaron is supposed to be reviewing them at some point soon, from what they mentioned on the podcast.

Hmm. Maybe it's unpopular, but I actually like the contrast of a lighter binding against ebony. Actually, I think I just like light colored binding. Also possibly unpopular: I'm not a fan of the rosette pattern on these otherwise beautiful pro classics.

I messaged HMS to ask if there were any models with regular headstocks in this beautiful batch of Pro Classic instruments, and it sounds like not in this batch, but that they may come to fruition at a later time. The slotted headstocks are so pretty, but they can prove to be a bit heavy for my wrist issues.

I do miss the abalone around the sound hole; it’s one of my favorite items of ‘bling’ on an ‘ukulele. I am lucky that I have a Pro Classic sunburst tenor model with the abalone around the sound hole. My instrument is from 2015; not sure when the use of abalone was discontinued at Pono, maybe my instrument was the last year, but I am not certain of that.

Top Bottom