Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite Martin copy

I would add Brueko to the list.
    - Laura

Martin, KoAloha, Brueko, Mele, Mainland, Outdoor, Kala, Enya, Harmony, Tempo, Globe, Shima, Vega, Silvertone, Kay, Luna, Vorson, Drewek, Zither Heaven, First Act

To anyone who has both a Kiwaya KTS-4 and a Martin S1. Now that you have experienced both of these Martin copies, if you had to buy just one of them which would it be and why?
    Last edited by Calbrit; 10-26-2020 at 02:34 PM.

Excellent responses everyone, thanks!! I do have an Ohana SK-28 which I find to be very sweet yet quite mellow. I also have a Martin HPL koa model that is brighter and punchy - more headroom. I admit to have always wanted one of Ken’s instruments but just not as easy to come by. I know, patience is the key. I never expected Brueko to be in this category, but I’ve always respected their design. Maybe I need to look a bit closer there. Kiwaya certainly seems like a great candidate from all the talk I hear about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Calbrit View Post
    Does anyone who has both a Kiwaya KTS-4 and a Martin S1, if you had to buy just one of them which would it be and why?
    I have not owned an S-1, but have tried them. At one time I had a Kiwaya. Hands down, the Kiwaya would be my choice. To me it seems a level above the S-1

I wanted to reopen this thread, as I just received my Brad Donaldson Martin 0 replica today. OMG, it is amazing. First of all, it has amazing projection. I thought my 1920 Weymann had lungs, but this is loud. It also has the perfect soprano jangle, and that is with pretty "eh" fishing wire that Brad uses. He wants to (wisely) make sure that he hears everything with the same strings so he can get them just right. The Honduran Mahogany is very nice (typically not the most exciting wood to me), the neck feels great, and it just is a joy. It is also also, I think, just about the best bang for your buck luthier made instrument, going for $350. I am so happy with it, I am having him start on a spin on a Martin 3 replica but with a redwood top (sides tbd). Brad was also fantastic to work with and made this process a joy.
    Brad Donaldson mahogany Martin 0 style soprano
    Pohaku Concert 10 (small concert), Bearclaw spruce top/maple body and neck
    Weymann 1920 Model 10 soprano
    Japanese no name soprano, 1950s Burch sunburst
    Japanese no name soprano, 1940s mahogany Laminate
    Japanese no name soprano, 1950s mahogany
    Anuenue Flame Maple Soprano 2012

Quote Originally Posted by richntacoma View Post
    I wanted to reopen this thread, as I just received my Brad Donaldson Martin 0 replica today. OMG, it is amazing. First of all, it has amazing projection. I thought my 1920 Weymann had lungs, but this is loud. It also has the perfect soprano jangle, and that is with pretty "eh" fishing wire that Brad uses. He wants to (wisely) make sure that he hears everything with the same strings so he can get them just right. The Honduran Mahogany is very nice (typically not the most exciting wood to me), the neck feels great, and it just is a joy. It is also also, I think, just about the best bang for your buck luthier made instrument, going for $350. I am so happy with it, I am having him start on a spin on a Martin 3 replica but with a redwood top (sides tbd). Brad was also fantastic to work with and made this process a joy.
    Do you happen to have any pictures? I've been considering contacting him about a style-0 or style-1 replica.
    Ukuleles:
    1960's Martin Style-0
    LoPrinzi Concert (Redwood & Mahogany)
    Fred Shields Style-0 Replica
    Kala Elite 1MHG-S
    Ohana SK-25S
    Kala Elite 1KOA-T << Letting this one go. PM if interested.

My Donaldson Martin 0 is so awesome even the unicorn can't stay away. I have actually been strumming it for the last hour, and I am just blown away.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brad Donaldson mahogany Martin 0 style soprano
    Pohaku Concert 10 (small concert), Bearclaw spruce top/maple body and neck
    Weymann 1920 Model 10 soprano
    Japanese no name soprano, 1950s Burch sunburst
    Japanese no name soprano, 1940s mahogany Laminate
    Japanese no name soprano, 1950s mahogany
    Anuenue Flame Maple Soprano 2012

Thanks so much Rich, I am really pleased that you are enjoying your new ukulele. Here is a link to the pics I sent Rich of his finished uke.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UFLx1LGjgMoeC2wf9

Brad
    Bradford Donaldson
    Kekaha, HI and Cannon Beach OR
    bradfordj48@outlook.com

Quote Originally Posted by richntacoma View Post
    My Donaldson Martin 0 is so awesome even the unicorn can't stay away. I have actually been strumming it for the last hour, and I am just blown away.
    Thanks. It looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzBD View Post
    Thanks so much Rich, I am really pleased that you are enjoying your new ukulele. Here is a link to the pics I sent Rich of his finished uke.

Brad
    Thanks for posting even more photos Brad. I was just thinking about what to email you.
    Ukuleles:
    1960's Martin Style-0
    LoPrinzi Concert (Redwood & Mahogany)
    Fred Shields Style-0 Replica
    Kala Elite 1MHG-S
    Ohana SK-25S
    Kala Elite 1KOA-T << Letting this one go. PM if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzBD View Post

Brad
    Brad, that’s beautiful!

Thread Information