Bari Different

about2

Reaction score
I recently acquired an 8 string Kala Baritone and although I liked it, it wasn't my cup of tea - so I did some experimenting. Below you can hear the result.

I removed two of the strings, making it in effect, a 6 string. But the real change came when I replaced the Low G string with a Low Low G string. Its a Guadalupe string that was part of a set designed to change a Bari to play GCEA, but an octave lower than normal.

Here's how it is strung:
Hi D - Savarez
Low D - Worth
Hi G - Savarez
Low Low G - Guadalupe
B - Aquilla
E- Aquilla

Makes for an interesting mix.

https://soundcloud.com/user-679342401/a-different-bari/s-UDd1VAC9DhN

The uke is a Kala KA-ABP8-CTG. I'm still getting used to double strings but I think the potential is there.....

I really dig this. I've often thought about getting a 6 or 8 string and messing with the pairings. I saw a 6 string once where instead of the octave up C on the 3rd string they had a both C strings tuned to regular pitch but one was flourocarbon and the other was wound. I dont love that octave up sound on the 3rd so I liked that and I like what you done with yours. It is full but not cluttered.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks so much. It always fun to try new pairings. It’s funny how to my ear it sounds quite nice on some pieces but not so nice on others. It was a full but uncluttered sound I was looking for.

Top Bottom