Kamaka Ukes with arched backs ? Anyone have one ?

Kamaka taro Patch

Reaction score
Anyone have a Kamaka with a arched (curved) back ?I have a few old white label Kamaka 8 string ukes that have flat backs. I have another one about 10 years old and it has a very arched back. I called Kamaka in Hi. they said the new ones are flat. They said this one might have been made to order for the original owner. Ive never seen anther Kamaka with a back like this. it sounds great with lots of volume.

My 2006 HF-3 has a slight bubble to the back. It's not pronounced, but it's not flat.

I have an old 60/70s Kamaka Soprano and it has an arched back.

Just out of interest - the Kala Travel Ukes also have a pronounced arched back, that helps with the great volume that they have too!

Anyone have a Kamaka with a arched (curved) back ?I have a few old white label Kamaka 8 string ukes that have flat backs. I have another one about 10 years old and it has a very arched back. I called Kamaka in Hi. they said the new ones are flat. They said this one might have been made to order for the original owner. Ive never seen anther Kamaka with a back like this. it sounds great with lots of volume.

You made me look, and yes my HF3 serial number 150225 has an arched back. Of all my ukuleles this one has the best dynamic range.

My 2020 Kamakas have arched backs. It is slight but still noticeable. So, I'm curious why Kamaka says they have flat backs?

My 2020 Kamakas have arched backs. It is slight but still noticeable. So, I'm curious why Kamaka says they have flat backs?

Thanks for the replys. Mine has a lot of curve to it a little over a 1/2" from one end to the other. it does have a lot of volume and sounds great.

Photo of HF 38 arched back. If you in large the picture you can see how much curve there is.

IM004201.JPG

Thanks for the replys. Mine has a lot of curve to it a little over a 1/2" from one end to the other. it does have a lot of volume and sounds great.

1/2" sounds like a lot; is it a soprano?

My soprano (2020 model) has ~1mm at its highest (it is hard to measure so I just estimated) arch on its back. I don't have my concert (also 2020 model) handy, but I think it is also about the same.

Here's a photo of the arch:
IMG_1563.jpg

Top Bottom