Thread: Kamaka Ukes with arched backs ? Anyone have one ?

Default Kamaka Ukes with arched backs ? Anyone have one ?

Anyone have a Kamaka with a arched (curved) back ?I have a few old white label Kamaka 8 string ukes that have flat backs. I have another one about 10 years old and it has a very arched back. I called Kamaka in Hi. they said the new ones are flat. They said this one might have been made to order for the original owner. Ive never seen anther Kamaka with a back like this. it sounds great with lots of volume.

My 2006 HF-3 has a slight bubble to the back. It's not pronounced, but it's not flat.

I have an old 60/70s Kamaka Soprano and it has an arched back.

Just out of interest - the Kala Travel Ukes also have a pronounced arched back, that helps with the great volume that they have too!
    Mainland Banjo Ukulele - Mahogany
    70s Kamaka Soprano
    Graham Bird Concert in All Australian Native Timber
    Bruce Wei Pineapple Tenor in Acacia
    Kala Travel Concert High G with external K&K pickup
    Kala Travel Concert Low G with external K&K pickup
    Anuenue Concert Papa II with internal K&K pickup
    1920s Harmony Uke

Forster Jumping Fleas Ukulele Band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGthEMqX2gU

Quote Originally Posted by Kamaka taro Patch View Post
    Anyone have a Kamaka with a arched (curved) back ?I have a few old white label Kamaka 8 string ukes that have flat backs. I have another one about 10 years old and it has a very arched back. I called Kamaka in Hi. they said the new ones are flat. They said this one might have been made to order for the original owner. Ive never seen anther Kamaka with a back like this. it sounds great with lots of volume.
    You made me look, and yes my HF3 serial number 150225 has an arched back. Of all my ukuleles this one has the best dynamic range.
    Kamaka HF3, Tenor
    Martin S1, Soprano
    Ko'olau C1, Concert
    Flight TUS-35

My 2020 Kamakas have arched backs. It is slight but still noticeable. So, I'm curious why Kamaka says they have flat backs?

Quote Originally Posted by clear View Post
    My 2020 Kamakas have arched backs. It is slight but still noticeable. So, I'm curious why Kamaka says they have flat backs?
    Thanks for the replys. Mine has a lot of curve to it a little over a 1/2" from one end to the other. it does have a lot of volume and sounds great.

Photo of HF 38 arched back. If you in large the picture you can see how much curve there is.

IM004201.JPG

Thanks for the replys. Mine has a lot of curve to it a little over a 1/2" from one end to the other. it does have a lot of volume and sounds great.
    1/2" sounds like a lot; is it a soprano?

My soprano (2020 model) has ~1mm at its highest (it is hard to measure so I just estimated) arch on its back. I don't have my concert (also 2020 model) handy, but I think it is also about the same.

Here's a photo of the arch:
    IMG_1563.jpg

Photo of HF 38 arched back. If you in large the picture you can see how much curve there is.

IM004201.JPG
    I can't see the arch in your photo. Perhaps you are referring to the curve from bottom to top of the bout? That is generally not called arched back; an arched back will have a convex back.

Thread Information