Is this Kingston a decent uke?

ebssea

Reaction score
I bought a few guitars and a ukulele recently, planning on starting to learn. I'm curious if the ukulele is a decent quality one or more of a kids style (i.e. not good enough to use as a learning tool).

It's a Kingston ukulele that the previous owner pointed out is signed by Bill Tapia (I googled him to find out who he was). Is something like this decent? What's a reasonable price for something like this?

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Attachments

• IMG_2545 copy.jpg
    IMG_2545 copy.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2546 copy.jpg
    IMG_2546 copy.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2547 copy.jpg
    IMG_2547 copy.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 42
Im not familiar with the brand but probably worth $40-50 : https://reverb.com/item/6024369-kin...tobacco-burst-pro-set-up-right-or-left-handed

It's not "high end" by any means, but if the neck is straight, the zero fret gives it a good chance of decent action (string height) and should be an easy player. You can certainly use it as a learning tool but if it doesn't play well or sounds just horrible, there are better options

I got the uke in a lot of a bunch of guitars - steel string lap guitar, beginner's acoustic, traveling guitar and the ukulele. $100 for all of them seemed like a steal, but I wasn't sure what quality was like. They don't seem top end, but all sound good IMO, so probably not a bad deal in the end.

Thanks for that. I assumed it was cheap (i.e. low quality) since the fretboard and strings seem to be plastic, but I guess that may be standard in this level of ukulele?

Well, plastic fretboard is unusual but not unheard of. The Magic Fluke company has several models with plastic fretboards and they cost a lot more than this. I'd say you got a heck of deal to get four instruments for $100!

I would recommend some new strings. Martin M600s are cheap, readily available and should make this sound about as good as it can get.

Thanks for that. I'll check the strings out. Maybe worth getting a new fretboard, or not going to make a difference at my (lacking) skill level?

I can't figure out what material the body is. At first I thought some kind of plastic, but seems like it could be bamboo or something like that.

Maybe worth getting a new fretboard, or not going to make a difference at my (lacking) skill level?
It'd cost way more than the uke is worth to have a wooden fretboard with metal frets installed on that. Just enjoy it as-is if it sounds okay to you. If you like uke enough, you'll want to get a higher quality one eventually. If it'll stay in tune and play well enough it's a decent start at least.

Top Bottom