Tenor body baritone strings and tuning

Reaction score
Has anyone put baritone strings on a tenor body and tuned it like a baritone (DGBE)? My thought was just to have a smaller instrument than the baritone - while retaining the baritone tuning (so I wouldn't have to relearn all the chords). It's not that I'm lazy - its just that I'm old and my brain isn't as nimble as it used to be. Thanks

There are a couple of turnkey string sets designed for dGBE tuning on a tenor scale length. I had a set of Fremont Blacklines that I liked, but ultimately didn't love and switched back go GCEA. A set designed for baritone probably wouldn't work well for DGBE on a tenor scale length, but you could fiddle with string sets to get there. The tenor GCE are close to the bar's GBE so just shift those up a string and then find a D. High D is in the same range so easy. Low D will be trickier on the shorter scale.

there are several ways to do this.

You could get a classical guitar string set and use regular tension ADGB strings and tune higher to DGBE on tenor uke.
Alternatively, you could get a "Extra hard tension" classical guitar set and just use the DGBE strings (this would feel lighter than the above option).

Another option is, get a Tenor ukulele DGBE set (eg: Aquila) and replace the high D with a low D using a classical guitar heavy tension D string or normal tension A string.

A Pepe Romero string set is designed to do just that. DGBE for tenor, changing it into a "baritone." I've got a set on a solid spruce top/solid maple back and sides. Quite nice. The best thing about it is the reduced stretch. I think the results may depend upon the uke you put them on. I tried them on a KoAloha tenor and was not overly impressed. But on the spruce/maple, its a very nice option. I'm not taking them off! I had my eye on another Bari, but after trying these strings, I'm very happy.

Last edited:
Absolutely doable.
Here's a video of my Scott Wise tenor tuned DGBE with Aquila Nylgut Baritone strings.

Of course the string tension is low but its not unplayable by any stretch.

Top Bottom