Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NUD - Kala KA-SLNG Mahogany Long Neck Soprano

Default NUD - Kala KA-SLNG Mahogany Long Neck Soprano

Had a really good result buying a "used" Kala ABS case from Amazon Warehouse a few weeks ago, so when I saw this pop-up in an Amazon Warehouse search, I decided "Why Not?" It also helped that I had a small courtesy credit from Amazon for a problem I experienced on a previous order so, for less than $50, I could not say no.

The only issue I have found is a small 2mm spot near the bridge where something obviously touched the gloss finish before it was dry. This must be why it was returned to Amazon and marked "Used - Very Good". The previous buyer also installed one strap button on the bottom before noticing this defect. Still, I find it a worthy purchase as the defect in the gloss doesn't bother me one bit.

It arrived yesterday and after only one day I'm ready to install Martin M600 strings on it. I don't like the sound of the stock Aquila strings on this ukulele. Action 2.75 mm at the 12th fret and it plays better than I expected.

I find this long neck much more comfortable to play than my Ohana SK-10 soprano and my kid's Kala KA-S - I really like the extra room in the first 5 frets. This is my first Gloss instrument and the glossy neck is bothering me a bit - I definitely prefer a satin neck. And everything that has been said about the chunky neck is true - it is much thicker than my kid's KA-S. However, I love how this ukulele has extra space along the edges of the fingerboard so I don't feel the frets! What's that called, a bound fretboard? I love this feature.

IMG_6007.jpgIMG_6009.jpgIMG_6003.jpgIMG_6008.jpgIMG_6004.jpg
    Last edited by TQuest; 10-28-2020 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Typo and left a couple things out
    Kumu TF-72 Thinbody Feather tenor
    Ohana CK-35s concert
    Kala KA-TEM tenor - sold
    Kmise Tiger Flame Okoume concert - sold
    2012 Islander MST-4 tenor
    Luna UKE-GWC concert - sold
    Ohana SK-10 soprano - gifted
    2018 Koaloha KCO-10S Spruce Opio concert
    Kala KA-SLNG Mahogany Long Neck soprano
    2014 The Rebel "Tiramisu" thin body concert

Congrats on your latest acquisition. I have the same model and consider it to be a great little ukulele for the money. Lots of fun to play. If the glossy neck continues to bother you, give it a light sanding with a very fine grit sandpaper.
    KoAloha KCM-00
    KoAloha Opio KCO-10
    Thormahlen Yew-kulele
    Kala KA-SLNG
    Flight TUS35

Great little uke, I bought mine soon after starting out, still use it now, it's my go to uke, even though I have much more expensive ones these days......
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by TQuest View Post
    Had a really good result buying a "used" Kala ABS case from Amazon Warehouse a few weeks ago, so when I saw this pop-up in an Amazon Warehouse search, I decided "Why Not?" It also helped that I had a small courtesy credit from Amazon for a problem I experienced on a previous order so, for less than $50, I could not say no.

The only issue I have found is a small 2mm spot near the bridge where something obviously touched the gloss finish before it was dry. This must be why it was returned to Amazon and marked "Used - Very Good". The previous buyer also installed one strap button on the bottom before noticing this defect. Still, I find it a worthy purchase as the defect in the gloss doesn't bother me one bit.

It arrived yesterday and after only one day I'm ready to install Martin M600 strings on it. I don't like the sound of the stock Aquila strings on this ukulele. Action 2.75 mm at the 12th fret and it plays better than I expected.

I find this long neck much more comfortable to play than my Ohana SK-10 soprano and my kid's Kala KA-S - I really like the extra room in the first 5 frets. This is my first Gloss instrument and the glossy neck is bothering me a bit - I definitely prefer a satin neck. And everything that has been said about the chunky neck is true - it is much thicker than my kid's KA-S. However, I love how this ukulele has extra space along the edges of the fingerboard so I don't feel the frets! What's that called, a bound fretboard? I love this feature.
    That's a beauty! I have the cedar-top Kala.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TQuest View Post

That's a beauty! I have the cedar-top Kala.

Kala seems to be putting strap buttons on some models now, esp at the lower end. while the pics on their website are not updated, the specs are, and that one shows it coming with

Quote Originally Posted by badhabits View Post
    Kala seems to be putting strap buttons on some models now, esp at the lower end. while the pics on their website are not updated, the specs are, and that one shows it coming with
    That's got to be a tough call for them. I like having them, but I know that some people don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan D View Post
    Congrats on your latest acquisition. I have the same model and consider it to be a great little ukulele for the money. Lots of fun to play. If the glossy neck continues to bother you, give it a light sanding with a very fine grit sandpaper.
    Thanks for the tip, Jan D. I'm going to take your advice and give the neck a light sanding... but what would you categorize as very fine grit sand paper? 2000 grit?
    Ohana CK-35s concert
    Kala KA-TEM tenor - sold

I had an SLNG a while back, it was a nice uke, and went to a friend. I've always wanted to try the solid spruce top version, the KA-SSLNG, I assume it would sound a bit better.
    John

Ukecaster - The KA-SSLNG was also at the top of my list for long neck sopranos due to all the great reviews on UU and at HMS. I just could not resist buying this KA-SLNG at this price. It's been positive thus far, and just makes me want a KA-SSLNG even more...

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    I had an SLNG a while back, it was a nice uke, and went to a friend. I've always wanted to try the solid spruce top version, the KA-SSLNG, I assume it would sound a bit better.
    Ohana CK-35s concert
    Kala KA-TEM tenor - sold

Thread Information