Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NUD - Kala KA-SLNG Mahogany Long Neck Soprano

Congrats!
    Yes, gloss on most ukuleles sucks. It can be gently sanded off, though, then wax the bare wood. It'll be slicker than snot on a glass doorknob!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Nice! That was my first ukulele and I often question my decision to sell it.
    Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by TQuest View Post
    Thanks for the tip, Jan D. I'm going to take your advice and give the neck a light sanding... but what would you categorize as very fine grit sand paper? 2000 grit?
    To be honest, I’ve never done it to any of my ukes. I just remembered reading about it on the UU Forum in an older thread. Hopefully, someone with actual experience will chime and let us both know what grit would be best. :-)
    Last edited by Jan D; 10-29-2020 at 07:23 PM.
    KoAloha KCM-00
    KoAloha Opio KCO-10
    Thormahlen Yew-kulele
    Kala KA-SLNG
    Flight TUS35

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    That's got to be a tough call for them. I like having them, but I know that some people don't.
    I hate them on sopranos. They are easy to add so I would prefer they be left off. That said my guess is that most people a) want them and b) aren't comfortable drilling into their ukes, so I get why they would do that.
    Last edited by CPG; 10-30-2020 at 03:14 AM.
    Pohaku "Yellow Label" Mahogany Soprano
    Weymann Model 10 Mahogany Soprano (c. 1918)

Quote Originally Posted by TQuest View Post
    This is my first Gloss instrument and the glossy neck is bothering me a bit - I definitely prefer a satin neck.
    You can rub the neck out with 0000 steel wool or the scotch pad equivalent. Make sure it is 0000. You're not removing the finish you are just putting lots of tiny scratches in it to make it satin. I usually do this with a little mineral oil. Then just rub any oil off with an old piece of t-shirt. If you were to do this to the whole uke you would technically probably be able to make out the tiny scratches if you held it under raking light and REALLY looked for them, so if that bothers you just do the neck and rub with the grain down its length. This is a standard woodworking technique for bringing down the sheen of a finish. It's not as common in instrument making from what I can tell, but it works well on necks. You could also put some wax on the steel wool tool and then rub the wax off with a t-shirt at the end. You may need to repeat this process at some point since your hand may buff it back out over time, but it should do the trick.
    Pohaku "Yellow Label" Mahogany Soprano
    Weymann Model 10 Mahogany Soprano (c. 1918)

Quote Originally Posted by CPG View Post
    I hate them on sopranos. They are easy to add so I would prefer they be left off. That said my guess is that most people a) want them and b) aren't comfortable drilling into their ukes, so I get why they would do that them
    I went to a uke fest that had a luthier installing strap pins. There was a long line at the table. I'm comfortable installing them myself. I like finding the perfect button to match the uke.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Thread Information