when did you start playing ?

real_ag

Reaction score
hey people. how old were you when you started playing your instrument and how long has it been now ? I started when I was 19 and its 7 years now !

I started Christmas Eve 2013. I am now 62.

I started when I was about 55 y.o. - that was 27 years ago.

I'm beginning to get the hang of it.

John Colter

I started in the fall of 2011, at age 60. I play about like I did in the spring of 2012! I guess I'm a slow learner.

I started playing guitar when I was 15 in 1965. Started playing uke the middle of 2013, bass uke a year later and never touched my guitars again, I'm 71.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Roughly fifteen years ago, age fifty. After having tried and given up on the guitar, seriously considered the Concertina ( there are at least two types), having lapsed in the piano and seriously lapsed in the clarinet. Saw a cheap one in a five and dime and haven’t turned back.

And basically self taught with classes l-o-n-g after I played around on this delightful instrument.

Started piano at age 4, guitar at age 15, celtic harp at age 46, hammered dulcimer and bowed psaltery around age 50. The ukulele came into my life about 3 years ago, when I was 64. At 67, I still have a few more years in me. Hopefully that means there’s still room for a few more instruments. The more, the merrier. :)

I started when I retired at 55. That was 12 years ago. Now when people ask me how long I’ve been playing, I tell them “a few years”. Otherwise, they’d expect me to be better.

I took accordion lessons for 4 or 5 years starting when I was about 8 circa 1952.
About 1958, a cousin left a ukulele at our house and I learned enough to play some tunes at scout camp fires.
My brother had a guitar, a Hofner arch top, and I always wanted to play it. When I was 16 in 1960, I bought my first guitar and left the ukulele. Since then the guitar has been a passion and I have added harmonica, mandolin in the sixties and later banjo, Autoharp, dulcimer and various other stringed instruments plus the concertina and button accordion. About a decade ago I returned to the ukulele.
These days I spend most of my playing time on guitar and ukulele with banjo and mandolin being runners-up. I am 76 years old.

Last edited:
hey people. how old were you when you started playing your instrument and how long has it been now ? I started when I was 19 and its 7 years now !

Five years ago, although I bought my first uke (a cheapie) in Hawaii in 2002. I was 71 when I started playing in 2015. Next time around, I'm going to start when I'm five. That seems to be when the pros started. :D

When? After being frustrated for 55 years of trying work those 6-stringed things... sometime around 2014.

Very happy, now!

Last edited:
I started around mid-2016 when I was 69. I'm 74 now and just getting the hang of things! One of the nice things about being retired is I have plenty of time for practice and play. :eek:

I was 10 years old in Autumn term of 1969 at Bembridge School. There was a lad who had one and we used to borrow it to practice and learn stuff from him. The Easter term saw a plethora of ukes returning . First ever instrument leading to piano,guitar,(acoustic and electric), balalaika, mandolin, banjo 5 string and Chicago tuned tenor through Jazz and Irish , piano accordion ,single row accordion,harmonica,violin, bouzouki (Greek), bass guitar Clarinet Bb and C are the latest and probably last....I am 62 now.......(although I love Herb Alpert's music ....so who knows ? :rofl::rofl: There is only one thing that I wish that I could play. That is well.

March of 2014 and I was 63 years old. Like many I had retired and I had a lot of time to waste. I started playing the ukulele for several reasons. One of them was to mess with my friend who was learning classical guitar.

I started when I retired, or rather shortly after, aged 65, that was 5 years ago - but I mainly play other instruments now.

I'm not a singer, & prefer wind instruments, harmonicas, whistles (low mainly), (keyless) piccolos, & (keyless) folk flutes - but still pick up a uke now & then to play a tune.

I started in the fall of 2011, at age 60. I play about like I did in the spring of 2012! I guess I'm a slow learner.

I'm the same way. started at 60 with no music background and have progressed very little. It's strange, I can fingerpick fairly well, but for some reason have a really hard time coordinating strumming. I can do the strumming patterns, but I guess don't really hear which one to use when.
Oh well, I have a few songs I'm good at, and I'm a fair way through Dueling Banjos on the banjo uke I made.

Oh, I started (kinda) 2015. I guess I've been a bit gunshy. I tried mandolin in college and had an instructor basically tell me I was awful. Gave up then. Danced for awhile until knee gave out and decided to try a uke just because I felt I needed some kind of creative outlet.

Let's see if I can get better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom