Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: when did you start playing ?

When? After being frustrated for 55 years of trying work those 6-stringed things... sometime around 2014.

Very happy, now!
    Last edited by Wiggy; 10-30-2020 at 04:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggy View Post
    When? After being frustrated for 55 years of trying work those 6-stringed things... sometime around 2014.

Very happy, now!

A six-string uke is much nicer.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

I started around mid-2016 when I was 69. I'm 74 now and just getting the hang of things! One of the nice things about being retired is I have plenty of time for practice and play.
    Larry

• JUPITER UKULELE TENOR #77, REDWOOD/SYCAMORE
    • ROMERO CREATIONS SOLID MAHOGANY "TINY TENOR" (LOW "G")
    • COCOBOLO CEDAR/COCOBOLO CONCERT
    • ANUENUE UT200 MOON BIRD (ALPINE SPRUCE/ROSEWOOD) TENOR (LOW "G")
    • KOALOHA KCM-10 PIKAKE KOA CONCERT
    • PONO ATD-CR CEDAR/ACACIA TENOR
    • HARMONY MAHOGANY BARITONE (1950's)

I was 10 years old in Autumn term of 1969 at Bembridge School. There was a lad who had one and we used to borrow it to practice and learn stuff from him. The Easter term saw a plethora of ukes returning . First ever instrument leading to piano,guitar,(acoustic and electric), balalaika, mandolin, banjo 5 string and Chicago tuned tenor through Jazz and Irish , piano accordion ,single row accordion,harmonica,violin, bouzouki (Greek), bass guitar Clarinet Bb and C are the latest and probably last....I am 62 now.......(although I love Herb Alpert's music ....so who knows ? There is only one thing that I wish that I could play. That is well.

March of 2014 and I was 63 years old. Like many I had retired and I had a lot of time to waste. I started playing the ukulele for several reasons. One of them was to mess with my friend who was learning classical guitar.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

I started when I retired, or rather shortly after, aged 65, that was 5 years ago - but I mainly play other instruments now.

I'm not a singer, & prefer wind instruments, harmonicas, whistles (low mainly), (keyless) piccolos, & (keyless) folk flutes - but still pick up a uke now & then to play a tune.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    I started in the fall of 2011, at age 60. I play about like I did in the spring of 2012! I guess I'm a slow learner.
    I'm the same way. started at 60 with no music background and have progressed very little. It's strange, I can fingerpick fairly well, but for some reason have a really hard time coordinating strumming. I can do the strumming patterns, but I guess don't really hear which one to use when.
    Oh well, I have a few songs I'm good at, and I'm a fair way through Dueling Banjos on the banjo uke I made.

Oh, I started (kinda) 2015. I guess I've been a bit gunshy. I tried mandolin in college and had an instructor basically tell me I was awful. Gave up then. Danced for awhile until knee gave out and decided to try a uke just because I felt I needed some kind of creative outlet.

Let's see if I can get better.
    Last edited by captain-janeway; 10-31-2020 at 06:41 AM.

Thread Information