Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when did you start playing ?

Default when did you start playing ?

hey people. how old were you when you started playing your instrument and how long has it been now ? I started when I was 19 and its 7 years now !
    we are getting older each day and exact age calculator can help us keep track of our age and the passage of days !

I started Christmas Eve 2013. I am now 62.
    - Laura

Martin, KoAloha, Brueko, Mele, Mainland, Outdoor, Kala, Enya, Harmony, Tempo, Globe, Shima, Vega, Silvertone, Kay, Luna, Vorson, Zither Heaven, First Act

I started when I was about 55 y.o. - that was 27 years ago.

I'm beginning to get the hang of it.

John Colter

I started in the fall of 2011, at age 60. I play about like I did in the spring of 2012! I guess I'm a slow learner.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

I started playing guitar when I was 15 in 1965. Started playing uke the middle of 2013, bass uke a year later and never touched my guitars again, I'm 71.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Roughly fifteen years ago, age fifty. After having tried and given up on the guitar, seriously considered the Concertina ( there are at least two types), having lapsed in the piano and seriously lapsed in the clarinet. Saw a cheap one in a five and dime and haven’t turned back.

And basically self taught with classes l-o-n-g after I played around on this delightful instrument.

Started piano at age 4, guitar at age 15, celtic harp at age 46, hammered dulcimer and bowed psaltery around age 50. The ukulele came into my life about 3 years ago, when I was 64. At 67, I still have a few more years in me. Hopefully that means there’s still room for a few more instruments. The more, the merrier. :-)
    KoAloha KCM-00
    KoAloha Opio KCO-10
    Thormahlen Yew-kulele
    Kala KA-SLNG
    Flight TUS35

I started when I retired at 55. That was 12 years ago. Now when people ask me how long I’ve been playing, I tell them “a few years”. Otherwise, they’d expect me to be better.

I took accordion lessons for 4 or 5 years starting when I was about 8 circa 1952.
    About 1958, a cousin left a ukulele at our house and I learned enough to play some tunes at scout camp fires.
    My brother had a guitar, a Hofner arch top, and I always wanted to play it. When I was 16 in 1960, I bought my first guitar and left the ukulele. Since then the guitar has been a passion and I have added harmonica, mandolin in the sixties and later banjo, Autoharp, dulcimer and various other stringed instruments plus the concertina and button accordion. About a decade ago I returned to the ukulele.
    These days I spend most of my playing time on guitar and ukulele with banjo and mandolin being runners-up. I am 76 years old.
    Last edited by Jim Yates; 10-31-2020 at 03:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by real_ag View Post
    hey people. how old were you when you started playing your instrument and how long has it been now ? I started when I was 19 and its 7 years now !
    Five years ago, although I bought my first uke (a cheapie) in Hawaii in 2002. I was 71 when I started playing in 2015. Next time around, I'm going to start when I'm five. That seems to be when the pros started.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Thread Information