Hi from VA!

haharobots

Reaction score
Hello Friends, I'm not a new member, per se... but I haven't been on here in maybe 8 years! I have three ukes that I play on and off. I go through spurts where I play a lot, and times where I don't play at all - I have a lot of hobbies that I rotate among, lol.

My Babies:
  1. Bushman Englemann Pineapple, mfg 2007. Great little (now vintage?) uke, probably my most used of the bunch.
  2. Oscar Schmidt OU17 Soprano, Spalted Mango with Abalone inlay - beautiful instrument, but the headstock is heavy which makes it hard for me to play.
  3. Oscar Schmidt OU280SWK Concert, Koa with abalone detailing - stunning! My favorite looking and sounding of the group and easiest for me to sing along with, but reaching some chords is a stretch for my child-sized hands.

To be honest, I am thinking of selling them and would love some pricing advice. My kids (ages 4 & 6) always want to play with them, but it makes me cringe when they touch my instruments! I could be happy with just one uke. I would love some pricing advice on selling.

Separately, I want to get a couple ukes that ARE meant for kids. From what I've read so far, it's generally agreed upon that Makala dolphin/shark is the ONE, but put some Aquilas on it. Any info on where I can buy these pre-setup? I would love to support a small business and not Amazon this Christmas.

Howdy! If you want to support a store in Virginia maybe try Fan Guitar and Ukulele in Richmond or Mim's Ukes in the mountains probably close to where you are. Both are good people!

Welcome back haharobots!

Fingers crossed, your little ones really catch the bug! Mine get tired of things after a while when they become boring, or when they become challenging.

We just had half-term holiday last week. My children showed interest in my baritone. After they had a bit of time exploring it, I suggested that my youngest could use a soprano. I left my cheap ukes out their gig bags last week, and he picked that soprano up for four days in a row! He's got the C, Am, F, and almost the G7. He's back at school now, but maybe there is hope? Covid-19 and social distancing permitting, he will get some uke lessons in school after New Year. It seems that he is warming up to the idea.

Glad you are back Ms Haharobots!

I hope you and your children have a great time learning to play. It's a lot of fun.

Maybe one chord songs to begin with. Then two. And three. There are thousands of songs you can find online that should help them become more interested.

Top Bottom