Thread: Do I buy a used Keli

Default Do I buy a used Keli

Anyone have information on Keli’i?
    This is an 8string concert size, solid KOA. How do I find out how old this is? Can you tell by the label or logo?

And what level it is, gold series, silver series, other?

This instrument is 2+hours away, so I don’t want to pursue it if it’s not worth my time.( I’m a fairly new player and not very experienced with checking intonation etc). I’ve searched the web, and I’m not seeing much that’s helpful. I know they were made in Hawaii, then started some outsourcing to China/finished assembled back in US, then sold to a company in Japan.

These are pics from the seller. It is listed as new, never played.They Purchased for $750usd, selling for $500cad. Worth it?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BC Island Girl; 10-31-2020 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Original post was missing info

Here's an interesting report on this brand: https://www.theukulelereview.com/201...ger-sell-them/

Thanks man0a. I have read that article and it’s part of the reason I’m even looking at getting a Keli’i. I’ve never seen one so I was hoping to get some real world opinions. I’m pretty new to the Uke 18 months or so, I dont know too much yet. I believe in quality over quantity, so I’ll pick carefully. I’m a Strummer, so I thought a nice 8 string might give me a fuller sound.
    Cheers!

I recall that Keli'i ukuleles come in 3 different quality levels, as well as different sizes. I did try one of the higher level models a couple of years ago. It sounded OK, but not the same memorable sound quality as a Kamaka. Of course, $500 CAD is not the same price level as a Kamaka, either.

Thanks for your feedback. I currently own a used Moonbird concert (Oh the tone ��), and a $5 garage sale Makala Dolphin (Has a few dings and lives in my car ��)

If you can plan on some sightseeing nearby, then make the trip itself the adventure and let the uke purchase be a possible side benefit.

Just might have to do that..and Christmas is coming lol. Might have bend the arm of the husband....

Well, snooze, you lose. Someone beat me to it!

Thread Information