Review: Enya Nova Mini U (Soprano)

UkeStuff

Reaction score
A little smaller than the concert version (no surprise there). While featuring significantly wider spacing than the concert, the shorter scale neck makes it a little harder to play (for me) than the concert. This became most clear to me while playing Dm7 (2214) as my pinky keeps slipping to 5.

The sound of the soprano isn't quite as good as it's bigger brother, but I still like it...although I do like ukuleles with brighter sound.

Overall, a very nice plastic-based ukulele, affordable (compared to other polycarbonate/carbon fiber mixes), and while not as good as the concert, it's still a very good ukulele.

As always, the UkeGuide reviews are long, and there are chapters so you can jump to places in the video that interest you. The One Minute Ukulele Review appears below the UkeGuide review.

Nice. If I was looking for a plastic soprano, that would be at the top of my list. I just drilled and installed side fret markers on my Flight TUSL-35 a few weeks ago (the painted ones lasted a month), but I used up the last of the little piece of fret marker stick my luthier gave me.

Side markers should be standard. It's the top markers I'd be okay with being optional.

Been playing one - I actually much prefer the concert over the soprano. Purely subjective on sound, but nicer to hold and the increased string spacing MUCH nicer to play for my hands.

Been playing one - I actually much prefer the concert over the soprano. Purely subjective on sound, but nicer to hold and the increased string spacing MUCH nicer to play for my hands.
Don't you have that switched around baz? I thought you said the soprano was more comfortable for you.

Yes - sorry!! Prefer the soprano!

Top work gents. Quick Q... would you think the Mini could take a beating? I'm looking for a soprano ukulele to carry in the front stash pocket of a backpack year round on overnighters without a case and I'm probably down to this or the Outdoor.

I have the bigger Nova U and really like it BTW.

Top work gents. Quick Q... would you think the Mini could take a beating? I'm looking for a soprano ukulele to carry in the front stash pocket of a backpack year round on overnighters without a case and I'm probably down to this or the Outdoor.

I have the bigger Nova U and really like it BTW.

If you're planning a beating...An Outdoor Soprano is really the way to go, I think. The Nova, for all its plastic and carbon fiber, is still a painted ukulele that will show wear when put against the elements.

If you're planning a beating...An Outdoor Soprano is really the way to go, I think. The Nova, for all its plastic and carbon fiber, is still a painted ukulele that will show wear when put against the elements.

Thanks, have asked Santa for a Carbon Black Outdoor Soprano.

Top Bottom