Season 455 - Zooming

Welcome jtsteam! However you choose to join is the right way. Some people choose to show their face, some only their uke, others just some photos or original art. The big thing is to share your enjoyment of the ukulele. Welcome to the seasons!

Thanks for hosting Brian and huge thanks for your selfless Seasons admin over these years. You've done a pearler of a job.

So, I thought I would play it safe and do a song which I practiced a few times and played at the weekly Zoom session only a week or so ago. I spiced it up a bit by changing the final verse to something more topical. But the wheels fell off well before that. Kept my language clean though.

So, I thought I would play it safe and do a song which I practiced a few times and played at the weekly Zoom session only a week or so ago. I spiced it up a bit by changing the final verse to something more topical. But the wheels fell off well before that. Kept my language clean though.

The bloopers and so will only add to the fun, I think. I'm sure that many of us will recognise ourselves in these candid recordings Pa asked for. That said, I'll practise a song today and won't record until I know I can do it. I still expect my wheels to come off, though. And that's alright!

The bloopers and so will only add to the fun, I think. I'm sure that many of us will recognise ourselves in these candid recordings Pa asked for. That said, I'll practise a song today and won't record until I know I can do it. I still expect my wheels to come off, though. And that's alright!

it's amazing what pressing that record button does to even the most practiced and prepared and yes that's what i'm after this week

Ahoy
Aside from subtitles then I have not, so far, done any editing or post-processing to anything I have recorded.
I am going to understand the theme as '1st try recordings', since zoom does not allow for stopping and starting again without everyone knowing/seeing.
Here is a song I have played often but never recorded, and here is the 1st and only attempt at that song today. I hope the next song I attempt goes as well as this one did

Well here's the ultimate one-taker. Last night, in a pub, at the last open mic before lockdown 2.0. I did a set of 4 originals, and had a bit of time left, so decided to close it out on a high with Red Right Hand. A friend of mine called Chris, part of a few ukulele groups in Portsmouth and an inspiration for me getting into the uke on the first place, was on hand to lend me some uBass, which I was glad of because I'd turned him down for the originals because I didn't really have anything for him to work off. We've combined for this song a lot over the years without any rehearsal and love what he brings to it. If I ever make it into a studio he will be the first person I call to help out.

Last edited:
Hello, Brian ... and thank you for this week (and, indeed, for looking after the Seasons so well these last few years!) Well, I did this in one take and recorded it on my phone (which is not the way I usually record) and then had the most enormous difficulty actually downloading it. I never DO edit the audio on my recordings anyway (and I assume that is what you were referring to with the "no editing" stipulation ... I wouldn't know where to begin.) And I have resisted the temptation to add a daft video in case that was "verboten" too. The quality is not great, but then, that would probably be the case with a Zoom session (well, it certainly would be if I were participating!)

Last edited:
Bari sized guilele....Sweet Home Chicago

Greetings,

Omg. Zoom. My friends just invited me to a zoom happy hour next week. I’ve already attended 2 Zoom weddings this year. I’ll gladly do a one take wonder later in the week thanks for hosting. And I LOVE that it’s no post processing. Probably because all I have is a primitive iPad and sometimes a little gizmo but that’s it.

:)

firstly i hope you'll excuse my absence from SOTU for the last couple of weeks - i caught the coronavirus and spent a week in bed and then a week convalescing.
All my entries are always non-enhanced, (i wouldn't know how to edit them if i'm being honest), but to make sure i could do it in one take this week i've chosen a two chord song from Hawkwind's 'In Search of Space' album which i first bought 40-odd years ago

Oh, CharlyB! I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope you get better.

Dave.

Roseville Fair. Due to turning on the camera and walking to sit down took 10-15 seconds so edited the wasted time. Other than that no processing and one take.

So, after my attempt to record a song I knew well went slightly off track, I decided to go for broke, and tried a song which I don't think I had looked at for over two years. And guess what? Nothing went wrong at all. How annoying is that?

Thanks for hosting,I normally edit out all my mistakes but this one has the lot.Really impressive array of hats this week

First one. A leftover from Halloween, just like that undistributed candy causing great stress and remorse(?)

SOTU 455 - "Farewell," by Bob Dylan. Written by Dylan in 1963, it was originally considered for his third album "The Times They Are A'Changin'" but was not used and later re-surfaced on several bootleg albums. It figured in prominently in the "Inside Llewyn Davis" celebration concert where it was performed by Marcus Mumford and the Punch Brothers. Got help here from Kevin and Gerald, 1 take. That's my young neighbor Nathan and his mother moving about across the street.

Here's some Sam Fender, complete with my son begging me for some sweets that he most definitely is not going to get.

Top Bottom