Season 455 - Zooming

enjoyed all three of those mythinformed - the second one was brothers in arms? - third one sounded pogue -ish?
youtube wouldn't let me comment or add them to the playlist

Last edited:
enjoyed all three of those mythinformed - the second one was brothers in arms? - third one sounded pogue -ish?
youtube wouldn't let me comment or add them to the playlist

Haven't got the foggiest, I've changed settings now to 'not for kids' so not sure if that alters things. Yep two was Brothers In Arms and three was pogueish (hence 'gloom' in Its poor attempt) , Fairytale

Last edited:
Right, I have now got this one-take business sussed! Firstly, you choose a song that you actually know (even if you've never played it), which hasn't got too many chords (less opportunity to mess-up), and then you play it on such an outlandish instrument that anyone who bothers to listen to you spends the whole time wondering what on earth it is and never hears a word of the song anyway! I, therefore, offer you this ... played on my "bouzouki-uki." (And a horrible confession here ... I recorded this on my phone again, which somehow gives a greater sense of "immediacy", but, unfortunately, I had only just switched it on, so almost immediately it beeped with a notification. Well, I thought, just leave it there ... it'll add to the authenticity; but, then it happened again, and again, and again, etc., and, after about twenty seconds of recording, there was more beep than singing. I, therefore, decided to start again ... my apologies, Brian; PLEASE forgive me!!!)

Last edited:
In order to do a single take with no editing, I chose a song that I knew by heart from the band I was in during the late 1980s to the early 90s (Pere Flipat). The problem was that I couldn't sing it in the original key, so I had to work on it a bit before pressing record.

Now, I know Brian said "no post editing" - but I plead with him to indulge my addition of subtitles. You see I have a lot of people who look at my videos who are not native English speakers and who really appreciate my putting the lyrics in the video. If our host considers that I have cheated by adding them, I can move this to the island. It really is a single take with no post-editing of the actual video apart from the subtitles.

The song was written about the ethnic cleansing that was going on in the early 1990s in the territory formerly known as Yugoslavia. I saw a report on the TV and this was my response to an image of the men and women being separated and sent to camps (extermination camps in the case of the men).

I hope you appreciate

:

PS The instrument used is a Canary Islands Tiple a member of the Ukulele family. It is tuned dgCEA

PPS: Season 454 Wrap Video now available

Last edited:
A Mikis Theodorakis tune for a film theme
first on uke then bouzouk,
Necessitating a key change , a size change an underwear.....
Moving on
...and at the end a demo that both are my bum is green..................phew....oh and all in one take !!

I am completely intrigued...what are these ‘bouzouk(i)’ instruments? I’ve never come across such an instrument, and lo and behold, both Val and CeeJay are playing them in this week’s challenge — I must know more and, hence, the research begins! :)

My entry is a song I’ve been working on for weeks (but have never recorded until today for this week’s SOTU). I’ve been trying to determine what tuning is best for me, vocally, with this song and I’ve (so far) settled on playing the song with my dGBE tuned tenor ‘ukulele.

My entry is a cover of a cover — originally performed and written by the Ka’au Crater Boys, ‘You Don’t Write’ was recently covered by Cynthia Lin, Abe Lagrimas, Jr., and Ukulenny (as their band ‘U3’) and released on their debut album, ‘In Waves,’ earlier this year. (It’s a great album, btw!)

To shorten the video, I didn’t play the song in its entirety; I’ve excluded the instrumental bridge and the third verse (which is a repeat of verse 2).

Come on and Zoom, Zoom, Zoom, ah Zoomity-Zoom-Zoom! (Yeah, ok, I’m going a little bonkers lately with everything going on!)

I am completely intrigued...what are these ‘bouzouk(i)’ instruments? I’ve never come across such an instrument, and lo and behold, both Val and CeeJay are playing them in this week’s challenge — I must know more and, hence, the research begins! :)

Hi,mine is a Greek Bouzouki tetrachordo from the Lute family(four courses of paired strings so 8 in total) the two bass strings are copper or nickel
roundwound and paired with a plain steel partner. The two higher strings are matched pairs . Tuned CFAD so one below Bari and several below SopConTen. The original Bouzouki was /is a trichordo tuned ADA. The most famous musical example is probabaly Mikis Theodorakis' sitarki "Zorba's Dance" from the film " Zorba The Greek ". Another is Siko Horepse Sitarki.

The Irish folk players play a slightly modified version of the 'zouk which is flatter on the back (mine is like a venetian mandolin and a right bugger to hold) and is tuned like a mandolin GDAE. As is the Irish banjo, the fiddle , the mandolin and probably the bodhran [pronounced 'borron'] as well (except it's a drum.) but you never know !!

Last edited:
I've missed four Seasons in a row, and I didn't want to make it five. Working from home takes so much longer to get tasks done that I haven't had enough creative energy lately to make any videos.

Jim Yates recently made me realize that it's been too long since I've played my tiple. For those who don't know, a tiple is a mutant cousin of the ukulele with 10 steel strings, so there's three C strings and three E strings, and the middle string in each threesome is an octave lower. The American tiple was modified from a South American instrument by the Martin Co., which apparently thought the uke needed its own version of a 12-string guitar. Mine is notoriously hard to tune, so I figured to get through two songs in a single take each I'd better have five songs ready to go. I ended up only needing to use three songs to get two videos. During the second song, "Dark Therapy" by Paul Redfern's friends Echobelly, during the second verse the low C string suddenly decided to be a low B string.

This is "Falling Slowly" from the movie (and play) "Once", by Glen Hansard and Marketa Iglova.

More tiple to tipple to. This is a Fairport Convention song that was written by a young Richard Thompson.

Had the camera out and tried another video...luckily didn't mess up...

One take - still have not reviewed - Have you ever seen the rain

Thank you for the challenge Mr Pabrizzer :)

Here is my second first take vids. It does take off some of the pressure knowing it won't be perfect. :)

I saw this weeks theme and thought "I can do that" and sat down and played through a whole set of songs I knew well enough to manage in a single take. Then things went downhill and life got in the way. With one thing and another, I have only just managed to find time to produce something. I've chosen a song I know well and can manage without having to think too much about it. I did have to do a bit of editing because I record the audio and video separately, so they have to be combined and lined up. I added the title as I usually do and trimmed the end as there was a long silence while I turned off Audacity and my WebCam. Otherwise, one take and no enhancements.

The first and the single take, recorded on phone - "King of the Road" by Roger Miller.

So after this With or Without You I got a bit carried away, directly recorded from my iPad into YouTube. If you have 23 minutes to spare that is fine, if not that is good too ;-). These are all not U2 songs, most picked up from season over the years or because I loved the song the moment I heard (these tend to end up in the seasons though). At one time we where playing on an open stage and they did not have many other acts, so my drummer asked if I could not do a solo set. Some of these songs where part of that set. I since then acquired some more songs for about an hour of music. So this is only a part of that. Setlist is below the video, and in the Youtube description.

What you will here if you choose to press play:

Janis Ian - Better Times
Simply Red - Holding Back the Years
Martyn Joseph - On my way
Tom Paxton - Your So Beautiful
Martyn Joseph - Have an Angel Walk With Her
Original - Ode to my Brother
For King and Country - Proof of Your Love
Skillet - Stars

Last edited:
First thing in the morning (almost) - bad hair - 1 take - Under the Milky way

Top Bottom