KoAlana

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I have a KoAlana tenor coming my way. How many of you have a KoAlana?

Do any of you know the production history? It seems to be on-again/off-again. I'm buying from an individual, but dealers are selling new ones. Nothing on the KoAloha site, though.

Hi Jerry!

I’ve reached out to KoAloha to see if they will let me review a KoAlana: we’ll see what happens. I’m such a fan of the company that if they won’t send me one (loaner) to review, I’ll likely buy one.

I have only been playing since 2016, but I’m a big fan of KoAloha (like you) and this model series has been of interest to me.

I believe there have been 4 versions of the KoAlana. It has always been a side project of KoAloha to provide a Kala/Ohana price point, much like Kanile’a and their Islander (Kanile’a has been far more successful with Islander, but that entire series is handled in California).

The first is one that I own; an all mahogany model made in China, with internal KoAloha bracing—a far inferior ukulele. The finish failed on these, and most were reclaimed by the company on warranty claims. I don’t think it went much further than that.

The second was the predecessor to the Opio...a more expensive KoAlana, made by the Opio/Rebel factory. These were pretty good—you don’t see them come up for sale very often. I think they were Sapele.

After KoAloha switched the branding from KoAlana to KoAloha Opio, there was another laminate—this was around that 2016 period when I started playing ukulele. I never saw much of these models and am not sure any were even sold; but I remember seeing them in the catalog.

Then the latest batch was announced at NAMM in 2019 with the MonkeyPod laminate. The whole first batch was lost in a fire and models didn’t start showing up until 2020. KoAloha sold out of these; a new batch just came
In not too long ago (KoAloha posted a picture on social media).

There aren’t too many recordings or demos of these new KoAlanas; some reputable dealers have gently suggested that customers look at another brand like Kala or Ohana if people are interested in the KoAlana.

As a teacher, I can’t reasonably bring a KoAloha Opio or KoAloha to school much of the year (lower than 30% humidity, having to have it available out of the case 8 hours a day) so even a “standard” laminate tone KoAloha would appeal to me for that use—so I’m very interested.

Let us know what you think when it arrives.

Hi Jerry!

I’ve reached out to KoAloha to see if they will let me review a KoAlana: we’ll see what happens. I’m such a fan of the company that if they won’t send me one (loaner) to review, I’ll likely buy one.

I have only been playing since 2016, but I’m a big fan of KoAloha (like you) and this model series has been of interest to me.

I believe there have been 4 versions of the KoAlana. It has always been a side project of KoAloha to provide a Kala/Ohana price point, much like Kanile’a and their Islander (Kanile’a has been far more successful with Islander, but that entire series is handled in California).

The first is one that I own; an all mahogany model made in China, with internal KoAloha bracing—a far inferior ukulele. The finish failed on these, and most were reclaimed by the company on warranty claims. I don’t think it went much further than that.

The second was the predecessor to the Opio...a more expensive KoAlana, made by the Opio/Rebel factory. These were pretty good—you don’t see them come up for sale very often. I think they were Sapele.

After KoAloha switched the branding from KoAlana to KoAloha Opio, there was another laminate—this was around that 2016 period when I started playing ukulele. I never saw much of these models and am not sure any were even sold; but I remember seeing them in the catalog.

Then the latest batch was announced at NAMM in 2019 with the MonkeyPod laminate. The whole first batch was lost in a fire and models didn’t start showing up until 2020. KoAloha sold out of these; a new batch just came
In not too long ago (KoAloha posted a picture on social media).

There aren’t too many recordings or demos of these new KoAlanas; some reputable dealers have gently suggested that customers look at another brand like Kala or Ohana if people are interested in the KoAlana.

As a teacher, I can’t reasonably bring a KoAloha Opio or KoAloha to school much of the year (lower than 30% humidity, having to have it available out of the case 8 hours a day) so even a “standard” laminate tone KoAloha would appeal to me for that use—so I’m very interested.

Let us know what you think when it arrives.

Thanks for that!

As Choirguy says, the first KoAlana ukes were atrocious. A few were sold in the UK, about 14 years ago. They were Chinese made, with bodies from solid Sapele, but the standard of fit and finish was the worst I have ever seen. I was told that a few were sold in the UK, but most of the shipment was sent back to China. I was given three sopranos and two concerts, and managed to make all of them playable, but it took an unreasonable amount of time and effort.

The instruments released more recently, using the KoAlana branding, are a completely different proposition. The early debacle should not discourage anyone from buying a more recent KoAlana.

John Colter

What did the individual tell you? What is it made of? What was the year? And where was it made? That will tell the story.

I love my KoAlana Sapele. My ear adores the warm muddy depth of mahogany. I'm sure you'll be giving us a report.

Ukerepublic just got a new shipment of them and here is their description:

Koalanas are back and better than ever! KoAloha has been working closely with a new factory in Indonesia to reinvent and improve their entry-level ukulele line. The new Koalanas are built with laminated Trembesi wood. Not just a beginner ukulele, the new and improved KoAlana is a great instrument at an affordable price.

Ukerepublic just got a new shipment of them and here is their description:

Koalanas are back and better than ever! KoAloha has been working closely with a new factory in Indonesia to reinvent and improve their entry-level ukulele line. The new Koalanas are built with laminated Trembesi wood. Not just a beginner ukulele, the new and improved KoAlana is a great instrument at an affordable price.

Yes, that's what I'm getting, and the seller bought it from Uke Like a Pro.

Trembesi wood -
https://furniture-indonesian.com/in... known as the Monkey,acacia wood or teak wood.

Looks good, I love a nice dark fingerboard. Do you have a high end Koaloha tenor to compare it to?

I was on one of the last factory tours in March and they had a good selection of Koalanas on the wall. As I had played several KoAloha and Opio models from the other wall before I felt that the Koalanas did not come close to those but were very different in build quality, playing feel, and sound. Though it definitely was not a fair comparison as they should be compared to ukes in the same price segment in a store or other setting.

I was on one of the last factory tours in March and they had a good selection of Koalanas on the wall. As I had played several KoAloha and Opio models from the other wall before I felt that the Koalanas did not come close to those but were very different in build quality, playing feel, and sound. Though it definitely was not a fair comparison as they should be compared to ukes in the same price segment in a store or other setting.

Koalana is about 1/3 the price of Opio and 1/6 the price of Koaloha. They are intended for people who want the look of a Koaloha without the price or sound quality.

"people who want the look of a KoAloha without the price or sound quality"

A Porsche with a VW beetle engine?

John Colter

"people who want the look of a KoAloha without the price or sound quality"

A Porsche with a VW beetle engine?

John Colter]

A Karmann Ghia!

Top Bottom