USA Made Ukes in $200 to $500 Range?

The Wanderer

Reaction score
Hello folks. I know about Magic Fluke and Bonanza ukes that are roughly in the $225 to $500 range (give or take options) but are there any others that are made in the USA in that price range? Oh, and please exclude all plastic ukes like Outdoor or Klos.

Last edited:
Last edited:
cigar boxes are actually a great suggestion. They are, after all, traditionally poor folk instruments. Mine was about $250 and it has a hand-rolled humbucker.

I am an inveterate jingoistic shopper. And the first thing you have to realize if you want to get away from assembly-line merchandise is that you have to pay. That applies when avoiding Walmart in lieu of a local store, and it applies to ukuleles. So I suggest increasing your price limit so that you can include more hand-made ukes to your list.

The-Wanderer, I recommend you keep an eye on the UU Marketplace Forum, lots of good deals come up there, almost daily.
Happy hunting!

Sailor brand ukes are made in the USA. Available from Uke Republic, but sold out at the moment. (Tried to add a link but it got blocked as spam.)

Sailor brand ukes are made in the USA. Available from Uke Republic, but sold out at the moment. (Tried to add a link but it got blocked as spam.)

I thought that Sailor Brand might have been made by Loprinzi... ??? (I don’t know why I think this)

Last edited:
Fantastic! Pops koaloha and Kelali and Sailor are exactly what I'm looking for; folks that make good instruments at an affordable price. I know I could buy used but for my next purchase, I want to support American manufacturing and business.

Great thread! I should check into these companies.

How about Mainland ukes? I believe that they are made in the U.S., if memory serves me.
I don't believe they are. I'm pretty sure that the parts all come in from Asia, including the bodies and Mike assembles them by putting on the tuners, the strings, etc at the shop in the states. Same with Pono. That's why you can order them with a variety of tuners. All I can think of is the Hawaiian K brand ukes, Lo Prinzi, Sailor, Magic Fluke. The cheaper Martins, under $500, are made in Mexico.

Bonanza Ukuleles in Minnesota. Best known for his 'Oreo" model, but makes quite a variety of unique ukes.

Fred Shields Ukuleles. He makes custom ukes for great prices. I believe you can get a couple of models he offers for that price range. Really well made.

Last edited:
Kala is having a big sale. Their higher end Elites are made in California. Some Meles are made in Hawaii.

Elites for $500.00 or under brand new? Doubtful. But, they can occasionally be found used for $400-500. Nice US made ukes.

Fantastic! Pops koaloha and Kelali and Sailor are exactly what I'm looking for; folks that make good instruments at an affordable price. I know I could buy used but for my next purchase, I want to support American manufacturing and business.

My thinking exactly. I just started a similar thread about which Hawaiian brands were actually made in Hawaii. I'm also a fan of Gary Creed Ukulele (https://www.facebook.com/Creedsworkshop/) in Virginia.

Top Bottom