wear your mask

Status
Not open for further replies.

peanuts56

Reaction score
Last Sunday I gave a friend a ride home from church. On Wednesday I got word that her husband had tested positive for covid. He's tested regularly for his job. She subsequently tested positive as well. We had masks on the whole ride.
I wasn't able to get tested until Thursday due to the high volume of people being tested. I got the results this afternoon and tested negative. Proof positive that masks do their job.

Of course I agree with you, but this should be in the General section, not here.

However, everyone, just wear a mask! Stay at least 6 feet apart! Wash your hands!

Right on! :shaka:

Of course I agree with you, but this should be in the General section, not here.

However, everyone, just wear a mask! Stay at least 6 feet apart! Wash your hands!

Where's the general section?

Where's the general section?

Along the top of the window, right below the Ukulele Underground logo is a tab labelled Forum. Click once on that to go to the forums list. Scroll down to the bottom of the list to General.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last Sunday I gave a friend a ride home from church. On Wednesday I got word that her husband had tested positive for covid. He's tested regularly for his job. She subsequently tested positive as well. We had masks on the whole ride.
I wasn't able to get tested until Thursday due to the high volume of people being tested. I got the results this afternoon and tested negative. Proof positive that masks do their job.

A friend sent me a news article yesterday explaining that there is Covid-19 and then there is Covid-19. If you get it, the dose you got can determine how you react to it - sniffles or death. Wearing a mask and keeping your distance really do work.

Along the top of the window, right below the Ukulele Underground logo is a tab labelled Forum. Click once on that to go to the forums list. Scroll down to the bottom of the list to General.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers
Thanks, I've never scrolled down that far! Learn something new every day.

Masks are not 100% they only help slow down the spread. My buddy wears his mask religiously even in his car and in open areas. We work in a place where masks are 100% compliance. He just got his covid test back on Saturday and he is positive. So proof mask don't always work.

Masks are not 100% they only help slow down the spread. My buddy wears his mask religiously even in his car and in open areas. We work in a place where masks are 100% compliance. He just got his covid test back on Saturday and he is positive. So proof mask don't always work.

You're right. They're not foolproof but it worked in my case.

I don't think this hits the "science" mark unless you have more generalized tests and examples. Right now, it's at "anecdote" level. A singular instance. Need to have more examples of this relationship to start to draw conclusions.

(those reading this shouldn't jump the gun and get heated. Masks are a good idea for sure and I wear one. I'm talking the concept of scientific proof here).

I guess I need to internet-dig and find out why the virus is still spreading: in my state we've been very upfront about mask use, but the numbers are rising.

Could just be more people being out of the house, even wearing a mask. Colder weather might reduce public interaction.

Wooville says, just write a song about it and then post it in the "Links and Video" section.:music:

From my obsessive reading about this, it seems that transmission in homes is more common now. So unless your buddy wears his mask at home, or lives alone, that could have been the source. Or not. There is a lot that we don't know. Even blood type seems to make a difference.

The eyes are also in need of protection. If you wear glasses, that helps, but better are goggles or safety glasses with a better seal around the eyes.

And then there are many different types of masks and ways that people wear them. Under the nose, or worn loosely aren't helpful. Too thin won't prevent transmission well enough.

I now wear a medical mask over a KN95, my glasses, and if in a smaller space with people, a face shield too. Gloves, hand sanitizer, and endless hand washing as well, depending on the situation. I've been exposed at work, and who knows about exposure at the store, but so far, I've been OK.

It's galloping out of control in my area, so, to make this ukulele related, I've been giving thought to winter activities. Between winter weather and COVID, I expect to spend a lot of time at home. I was thinking about trying the ArtistWorks classes with Craig and Sarah, but I never seem to follow through on those type of things. Maybe with this set of circumstances, I will, though?

No UAS, though. I have MAS now - mask acquisition syndrome.

A friend just sent me this about the spread of the virus, in case it's of interest to anyone. You can read it while playing ukulele. :)

https://english.elpais.com/society/...he-coronavirus-is-spread-through-the-air.html

The purpose of wearing a mask is not to protect yourself from getting the virus from others, but to protect others from getting it from you.
We wear masks because we are considerate of others and we hope that they will do the same for us.
Your buddy's mask probably helps him a bit, but at least others aren't likely to be infected from him and while masks are certainly not 100% effective, they are certainly a big help. I wish the anti-maskers would stay at home.

The purpose of wearing a mask is not to protect yourself from getting the virus from others, but to protect others from getting it from you.
We wear masks because we are considerate of others and we hope that they will do the same for us.
Your buddy's mask probably helps him a bit, but at least others aren't likely to be infected from him and while masks are certainly not 100% effective, they are certainly a big help. I wish the anti-maskers would stay at home.

Good point. I live in Conn. and I rarely see someone without a mask. With the exception of a recent spike we have one of the lowest rates in the country. The rates have started declining from the recent spike. It seems many of the new cases are college related.
I actually had to take my glasses off to drive as they fog up. I'm legal to drive without them. I thought about the possibility that I could have been infected through the eyes.
I seem to be the kind of person who doesn't get sick. I caught a few colds during my 34 years as a music educator. I'm 64 and have never had the flu or gotten a flu shot. I guess the combination of masks and my immune system would be a factor. A little luck doesn't hurt either. Last I heard the other two people are on the mend. One other oddity regarding my immune system is I seem to be immune to poison ivy. I've walked through it and handled it unknowingly and no reaction.

Masks perform two tasks:
The protection of others: This is the primary one. To minimize the water droplets you expel as you cough, sneeze, talk, or just plain breathe from becoming airborne. I hear all the time from people, that they feel fine and they aren't infected. Unless you have been tested with a rapid test and received the result just before you make that statement, or you have been isolated, you have no way of knowing whether you have it or you don't. That's why this disease is so insidious. You can have it and not know it for days or weeks before you start to show symptoms. More and more children are positive and are infecting their families and other kids.
Protecting the wearer: The only mask that protects the wearer is the N95. It has to fit correctly to seal around the nose and mouth. Cannot be worn with a beard. All other masks, bandannas, gators, etc. allow some unfiltered air to be breathed in around the edges.
Slow motion videos absolutely demonstrate how these work. And show what happens when a mask is not worn.
If two people who are wearing masks interact, studies have shown that the likelihood of transmission is vastly reduced. Especially if they maintain social distancing.
Yes, microdroplets can remain airborne for long periods of time. And their spread in a poorly ventilated room goes beyond six feet. But, there seems to be a threshold for the quantity of virus particles needed to reach the point where the virus can multiply and overpower the immune system. If you walk through a space where such a cloud exists, and you're wearing a mask, most likely you won't contract COVID-19. If you stay in the room for 15 minutes or longer, the odds go way up for it being able to get a foot hold in the nose and mouth and multiply.
Face shields ONLY protect the wearer from getting any spray in the eyes. It does not protect from inhaling droplets. The air comes around the sides of the shield just fine when you inhale.
Masks are a pretty simple and proven effective measure to protect your family, friends, neighbors, community and yourself from spreading and contracting COVID-19. Combined with washing your hands for 20 seconds with soap, and using hand sanitizer when you can't wash, it's pretty darn effective. Not 100 percent. But close.
I like this cartoon:
FourCovidTypes.jpg

If everyone does their part, at the very least we can slow down the spread so that we don't overwhelm our hospitals with cases.
You don't want to get a severe case of this virus. You can be hospitalized for weeks in an ICU. You will owe hundreds of thousands dollars for your care. 10 percent of current hospitalizations are for people 18 and younger!

Caveat: I am not a doctor nor a medical person, nor do I play one on TV. But my wife works at a medical center in charge of employee health.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom