Working out a chord progression

AnonymousLou

Reaction score
Hey y'all;
I wrote a chord progression that made up the chorus of a lightly strummed, jazz inspired ukulele song that goes C, Cdim, Am Fm- some of these chords just feel out of place and I can't figure out which ones to replace others with.
I really like the CDim chord though and would love to be able to keep it in the song as I feel it really adds to the jazz-inspired song I am going for.

How can I work this diminished chord into the sequence without it ruining the rest of the progression?

Thanks,
Lou.

Check out the ukulele boot camp link in my signature.

Not knowing the melody, I suggest C Cdim Dm7 G7 as a basic progression:)
That happens to be line 2 on Practice Sheet 1, key of C in the Ukulele Boot Camp.

I hope this helps.

Diane Nalini has some tutorials on YouTube and lessons on her website:
https://www.ukuleleforjazzsingers.com/
There's also Glen Rose Jazzy Ukulele on YouTube, Ukulele Zen has some chord progressions on his channel, Sarah Maisel has done workshops around f.i. Satin Doll...
Some of these names will give you a start.

Some common jazz chords are listed on this site: https://www.jazzguitarlessons.net/blog/jazz-guitar-chord-chart-beginners
Major (7th and 6th)
Minor (7th, 6th, 9th and 11th)
Dominant (7th, 9th and 13th)
Minor 7th (b5) (aka half-diminished)
Diminished 7th (seen with a “o7″ sign)
Altered dominants (7th chords with b9 or #9 or b5 or #5 or #11 or b13)

Try C Am Fm Cdim
Any better?

Hey y'all;
I wrote a chord progression that made up the chorus of a lightly strummed, jazz inspired ukulele song that goes C, Cdim, Am Fm- some of these chords just feel out of place and I can't figure out which ones to replace others with.
I really like the CDim chord though and would love to be able to keep it in the song as I feel it really adds to the jazz-inspired song I am going for.

How can I work this diminished chord into the sequence without it ruining the rest of the progression?

Thanks,
Lou.

If you want to sound jazzier, you could switch to the most ubiquitous jazz progression, the ii-v-i, and change the chord qualities. To keep the C and F chords, I would switch to the key of Bb and I would play

Bbm6 to establish the key
Cdim
F7b9
Bbm6

That might strike your ear as being a bit too minor. The give it a more major vibe you could go

Bbmaj7
Cm7
F7
Bbmaj7

Last edited:
If you want to sound jazzier, you could switch to the most ubiquitous jazz progression, the ii-v-i, and change the chord qualities. To keep the C and F chords, I would switch to the key of Bb and I would play

Bbm6 to establish the key
Cdim
F7b9
Bbm6

That might strike your ear as being a bit too minor. The give it a more major vibe you could go

Bbmaj7
Cm7
F7
Bbmaj7

Wow, thanks so much for all the thought you've put into this, I'll have to give these a whirl and see what I come up with!

Wow, thanks so much for all the thought you've put into this, I'll have to give these a whirl and see what I come up with!

No problem. I don't play jazz per se. I.e., I don't faithfully re-create renditions of standards. I guess you could say I don't do jazz covers, but I do use the concepts in jazz to uncover my own music. I found Glen Rose's ukulele jazz books a good starting place. They are very user friendly. Nowadays if I hear about something musical, I google it and end up on a jazz guitar website. Then I try to adapt it to the ukulele, if I can.

C6 Cdim7 Dmin7 G7 Cmaj7
(Pretty much what Rod said)

C6 Cdim7 Fmin7 Bb7 Cadd9

C6 Cdim7 Fmin7 Bdim7(Db7b9) Cmaj7

Just a couple other ideas. Like others said, without the melody, who knows what you

Last edited:
Top Bottom