Reaction score
High Baritone ukulele Tuning.
The ukulele is tuned to D4 G4 B4 E4
I used soprano tuning strings.
D4 (string C)
G4 (String G)
B4 (String A)
E4 (String E)

Tuning is suitable for Baritone ukulele players who do not want to learn new chord names on a soprano (concert, tenor) ukulele.
Cuatro venezolano players are also used to deep marginal strings.

High baritone ukulele tuning versus baritone ukulele tuning

Rhythm Accompaniment
High baritone tuning versus C tuning ukulele versus Baritone tuning

Standing in the Need of Prayer 00:00, Oh Sinner man 00:35, Michael Row The boat Ashore 01:05

Artsa Alinu 00:00 Yoshke Fort Avek 00:30 Dajejnu 00:58

Sounds pretty sick. How does the tension feel? I would assume since standard DGBE goes from low to high with strings increasing in gauge, wouldn't you keep the strings in same order to get high DGBE?

Edit: Forgot to mention I've tuned a couple tenors low DGBE but used baritone strings. Was wondering about smaller size DGBE tuning. Thanks for doing this!

Nice! I have a tenor in cuatro tuning starting with Bb. The high C string has to be a specialty string as it is very thin for tenor. But this achieves a similar effect just raising two strings a step higher than normal.

To roastbeast point, Southcoast used to have a set for linear DGBE an octave higher than baritone but it was really for sopranino scale as again, that high e string is super thin and probably too tight even for soprano scale.

Thank you for your response. I used soprano ukulele strings. Strings DGB are an octave higher than the strings on a Baritone Ukulele.
I didn't want to replace Baritone's ukulele. That deep sound on a soprano ukulele can't be made :(

My interest was to combine soprano sound and baritone ukulele chords without buying new strings.

This is great. I really like the sound.

Took me a minute to figure out the how you were achieving the tuning with a regular set of strings. Now I see that the first string (E) is lower than the 2nd string (B). I have heard of high baritone tuning before but usually with someone getting a really light gauge string to tune up to E5. I think not having the highest string on the first string would take some getting used to, but I also think I might like it tonally better than an E5.

I've been considering tuning one of my sopranos to this and using E4 hadn't occured to me.

Thanks!

This is great. I really like the sound.

Took me a minute to figure out the how you were achieving the tuning with a regular set of strings. Now I see that the first string (E) is lower than the 2nd string (B). I have heard of high baritone tuning before but usually with someone getting a really light gauge string to tune up to E5. I think not having the highest string on the first string would take some getting used to, but I also think I might like it tonally better than an E5.

I've been considering tuning one of my sopranos to this and using E4 hadn't occured to me.

Thanks!

Thank you for your response. If you try this ukulele tuning, try making a recording.

Top Bottom