Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just One Ukulele?

Default Just One Ukulele?

I don't know if this has come up, but does anyone have just one ukulele?

I've been helping a woman find a ukulele. She wants a "good quality" tenor, solid wood, for $500. I've offered several ideas, but she's still looking. She says it will be her one and only. Is it possibly to be a ukulele player and have just one uke?
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

It is possible for some......but they aren't on this forum......

I'd point her to a KoAloha Opio acacia......
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post

I'd point her to a KoAloha Opio acacia......
    I did. I also suggested a Martin koa tenor for $539. I haven't heard from her about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    I don't know if this has come up, but does anyone have just one ukulele?

I've been helping a woman find a ukulele. She wants a "good quality" tenor, solid wood, for $500. I've offered several ideas, but she's still looking. She says it will be her one and only. Is it possibly to be a ukulele player and have just one uke?
    I have just one. I have a Kanilea tenor that fits my needs perfectly. I like to play finger style and the tenor size lends itself nicely. I preferred to have one really nice ukulele rather than a bunch of lessor ones. Everyone is a little different. It’s all good!

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post
    I think this is the key thing - I'm sure the vast majority of those who own a ukulele only own one and don't feel the need to talk about ukuleles all the time. My wife for example is a much better guitar player than I am a ukulele player and she only has the one guitar. She does not go to any guitar forums.
    Kamaka HF-3DC - KoAloha KTM-S00 - Kanile'a SUS B DLX - Kanile'a K-1B - Pono MGTP5-PC

I've given some thought to the question of how many ukuleles I really need. In my more lucid moments, I conclude that three would be my minimum number. One sturdy cheapie to keep in the car, and two really nice ones for regular use. I reckon I need two because if a string breaks then that uke is, effectively, out of commission for a day or so while the new string(s) settle.

So how come I've ended up with a dozen really nice ukes, and another dozen (or so) lesser ones?

And I've only ever had one string breakage - years ago.

My name is John Colter and I am a uke-aholic.

I could get by with either one of my sopranos. That doesn't mean that I don't WANT more. But I certainly don't NEED more.

Though I must admit, I told myself I was going to stick with the two I have but I've been eyeballing a lot of ukes lately. LOL. Kinda want a taropath, kinda want a tenor to tune dGBE, kinda miss having a concert sometimes, kinda want more sopranos for no other reason than I think they are cool. But with a 2nd kid on the way I'm really trying to stick to two.
    Pohaku "Yellow Label" Mahogany Soprano
    Weymann Model 10 Mahogany Soprano (c. 1918)
    Uke.S.A. Hawaii (by "Pops KoAloha") Bearclaw AO Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by Counter View Post
    I think this is the key thing - I'm sure the vast majority of those who own a ukulele only own one and don't feel the need to talk about ukuleles all the time.
    I understand, but just owning a uke isn't the same as being a UU member and obsessing about ukuleles twenty hours a day.

I'm sure there are hundreds of poor, neglected ukuleles hidden away in closets, yearning to be loved - and played.

I think it's definitely possible to be a serious, enthusiastic player and have only one. But maybe it depends on how strictly we define "having only one" ukulele. I would consider myself to be enthusiastic, if not serious. And while there are always a lot of ukuleles here in the house, there's only one that I think of as "mine."

Jerry - one thing to consider if someone is picky like that and rejecting off-the-shelf models - if she has something specific in mind, $500 probably gets you at least close to in-range for some custom builders.

Quote Originally Posted by dwizum View Post
    Jerry - one thing to consider if someone is picky like that and rejecting off-the-shelf models - if she has something specific in mind, $500 probably gets you at least close to in-range for some custom builders.
    Thanks. A custom build never occurred to me. Bonanza is well under $500. I don't know if anything would satisfy her, though. I think limiting herself to just one uke for the rest of her life is a big part of the problem.

Thread Information