Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: NUD: Kala Elite Mahogany Tenor

Got my free replacement tuners in from Kala, to replace the originals with the excessively tall tuner posts. See pic below, with only the G tuner replaced, so far. These are just the right height, posts are a full 3mm shorter above the headstock, yielding better string angle. In addition, the chrome plating is much nicer, the plates are about 40% thicker, and they turn easily, no grinding, like some of the old ones. Much higher quality. Thanks Kala, for standing behind your products.

20201123_165913.jpg20201123_165955.jpg
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 11-24-2020 at 02:51 AM.
    John

All done, happy ending.

20201123_225005_027.jpg
    John

Glad to see Kala kept their word!

I don't play tenors anymore but back when I did, I played that model in a store. Really good uke and the wood finish looked way more high-end in person than it does in most photos. I think the photos you took capture the look of it well.
    current ukes:

Kanile'a Oha Concert, Kanile'a Oha Baritone, Kala KA-ASZCT-ST Super Tenor, Islander MSC-4 Concert, Wunderkammer "Boswell" Tenor, Johnson UK-200 baritone

sold ukes:

Martin Tenor, Martin Oliver Ditson Dreadnought Soprano, Martin Baritone, Ohana SK-28, Ohana SK-25S, Favilla Baritone, Kala KA-FMBG, Luna Great Wave Concert, Mainland Red Cedar Baritone, Mainland Classic Mahogany Tenor, Oscar Schmidt OU53, Oscar Schmidt OU57, Kiwaya Famous KTS-5 soprano, Ohana TK-38 tenor, Kiwaya Famous FLS-1G, Cordoba 24T,Keiki Kamaka Soprano, Dewdrop Concert

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    All done, happy ending.

20201123_225005_027.jpg
    That looks much better. Does the now correct break angle noticeably change the sound?

Glad it worked out for you John.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn2018 View Post
    That looks much better. Does the now correct break angle noticeably change the sound?

Glad it worked out for you John.
    Not sure yet, but the string break angles are radically different (much lower, matching the headstock angle). Some think that anything behind the nut makes no difference, I'm not sure.

EDIT: I played it some more tonight. Not sure if it's just my ears fooling me, but it does seem to sound a bit better, a bit more sparkle, slightly less middy. I was about to change out the Fremont Blacklines to gain more sparkle, but will now leave them for a bit and see how it goes.
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 11-24-2020 at 07:22 PM.
    John

Luthiers often refer to an epoxy pore filler they have to sand and steel wool in multiple coatings to make an even, level surface for applying a high-gloss glass-smooth finish. Which is also applied in layers and sanded and buffed.

I speculate that instead of matching the surrounding wood color, they use a contrasting colored epoxy to make the pores and grain pop?

But I'll defer to the people who work with the materials to provide an informed answer.

Kamaka uses an open-pore finish on their ukes. Just enough to seal the wood, while allowing the pores to show.

Pono, on the other hand, puts a glass smooth, high-gloss finish on their deluxe and PC models.

Mya-Moe uses a multi-layered True Oil finish on their instruments. (Also used on gun stocks.) Including on the fretboard.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Recently saw this video on the doghair finishing process. Looks like they basically wipe on the black stain, to get it into the pores, wipe off the excess stain, then probably finish with normal UV clearcoat.

https://vimeo.com/188374748
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 12-09-2020 at 05:45 AM.
    John

Loved watching that grain pop.

Bluesy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    Recently saw this video on the doghair finishing process. Looks like they basically wipe on the black stain, to get it into the pores, wipe off the excess stain, then probably finish with normal UV clearcoat.

https://vimeo.com/188374748
    Pretty cool. Though I wish they would have showed the whole process.
    It is one of my favorite looking finishes.
    Ukuleles:
    1960's Martin Style-0
    LoPrinzi Concert (Redwood & Mahogany)
    Fred Shields Style-0 Replica
    Kala Elite 1MHG-S
    Ohana SK-25S
    Kala Elite 1KOA-T << Letting this one go soon. PM if interested.

Thread Information