Season 456 - In Sequence

RAB11

Reaction score
Good evening!

This week's theme explores sequences. I'm going to go for a few angles of attack here.

1. The most important aspect of the theme. Execute this well and you put yourself in the running for a prize (more on that later). Basically I've had an idea for a theme for a while and the number 456 gave me the push to try and make it work. I want you to play two or more songs that you think are just perfect following on from each other from an album, compilation or soundtrack. I'm talking a song that you can't hear the end of without your mind immediately going to the next one. This sequence can take place over the course of one video, or multiple videos if needed. In that case, tell me when your sequence is over and I will add all three to the Playlist and listen in one go as intended. Stories/and context regarding the feelings or memories these songs evoke are greatly appreciated and the sequence that blows me away the most will win.

2. This is to expand beyond that niche and open things up a bit more, but isn't eligible for a prize. Play me the fourth, fifth and/or sixth song from your favourite album of all time.

3. If you've still got the songwriting bug, write me a song about or containing a famous sequence. This can be a numerical / mathematical sequence, a sequence of people holding a certain position, famous chord progressions (although try and look beyond I IV V) you name it.

Normal rules apply, the season starts at midnight Hawaii time, ukulele or close relation must be the main focus, no song limit as I have a week off work, and make sure you show some love to Pa's season before it zooms away tomorrow!
Enjoy!

PLAYLIST

Last edited:
Some more information about this season, including the prize on offer!

Getting in fast this week.

The Beatles eh? You might be expecting the first three from Sgt Pepper. Or side two of Abbey Road. But no...

In 1973 "The Beatles 62-66" was released. I don't remember how, but I soon had a cassette tape of it, and it got played to death. So much so, that as one song ended, I knew what was coming next. And that is still true today, 47 years later - if one of those songs is on the radio, as the last chords fade out, I start singing the next song on 62-66. I could have picked almost any sequence of three, but went for the start of side 2 (which was half way through side one on my tape).

Gday Ryan. i'll kick off with an original. There's a sequence in the title and also a 456 sequence. Cheers mate.

As sure as night
Follows day
The girl you love
Is gunna go away
Look at her shining
Her highway shoes
Look at you playing
The hesitation blues
Four left in winter
Five left in Spring
Now six is sprouting
A set of summer wings
The sequence of love
Is charted high in heaven
The footnote next to thee
Is marked as Lucky Seven
As sure as night
Follows day
Lucky Seven
She’s always gunna stay
She’ll never go away
You’re a Lucky Man today

The Beatles 1962-1966 aka The Red Album, track 23.

The Beatles 1962-1966 aka The Red Album, track 24. Like Steve I too played it to death back in the Spring of 1973.

Last edited:
This U2 Album: Song of Innocence is my Favorite Album to play songs of, this is a one-take recording of Song for Someone, Iris and Volcano as those are 4,5,6 of the Album. Iris is a song I really don't play a lot, as it is is so personal to Bono, it is hard to do justice. So to me it is full of mistakes ;). I used my Bariton as I had to go a whole step down for Iris.

Great to see so many embracing the theme head on! Looking forward to listening.

Havin' some fun with Hank today. I've been listening to a lot of classic country lately. Can't really think about one without the other. It's also a play and singalong. I'm in C.......

For Season of the Ukulele 456, the theme is to play songs that work together in sequence. Here is the Beatles’ “Abbey Road Side Two Medley” for tenor ukulele with singing and whistling, and overdubs of Ashbory Ubass, secondary vocal, and secondary whistling. Thanks Ryan for creating a theme that inspired me to finally record what I’ve been messing about with for a bit.

Last edited:
Side two of Abbey Road contains a 16-minute medley of eight short songs, recorded over July and August
and blended into a suite by McCartney and Martin.
"Golden Slumbers" (based on Thomas Dekker's 17th-century poem set to new music),
"Carry That Weight" (reprising elements from "You Never Give Me Your Money",

Hello, Ryan ... an interesting idea for the week! I thought it might defeat me, because I tend to get my music from the radio (the CD player in the car has broken), but then I remembered this tape (YES, TAPE!!!!) of Linda Ronstadt's "Greatest Hits", which younger son and I used to play in the car every week when I collected him after school to take him to his drum lesson. The tape eventually went the way of all good tapes and younger son grew up and stopped having drum lessons, but I still love this album. The next two tracks to follow as time permits.

Last edited:
I've actually decided I would not try this song (Kayleigh) again, as it is so Fish, and quite hard to do. But to me this really is the sequence I thought of first when I read the theme. On the Misplaced Childhood Album these songs just flow into each-other. But you mostly here Kayleigh on the radio, so I then mis the flow into Lavendar. This is my take on Marillion's Kayleigh and Lavender. I sort of found a key that worked for my voice (I think anyway ;-)).

I remember lamenting that the rules of Jon's tribute season to Randy a little while back prevented me from doing this. Thanks for the excuse Ryan, and I apologize for inflicting everyone with it again...

Psalm 6:16-19
The Mountain Goats were famous for taking bible passages and making song from them,
so I took a sequence of verses from the old testament and made up this song for the
US presidential election.

Right, yesterday and this morning were busier than I thought they'd be.

Here's one from me, the first two songs from Arcade Fire's aThe Suburbs, as I wait for a Zoom interview half an hour later than I thought it would be. This is an example I gave in the prize video, played on the prize itself.

Top Bottom