Season 456 - In Sequence

It was fun going through my record collection trying to find something that would (a) fit and (b) be something I had half a chance of trying here. Then I remembered an album that I played to death during the 1990s, and the track listing is still pretty much burned into my brain. So here's my attempt at tracks 4, 5 and 6 from Flood by They Might Be Giants:

Track 6 certainly seems relevant this week.

Some kids' folklore - not real songs, but counting-out rhymes. These were known in Estonia already in the 1940s, maybe even earlier. The first one sounds quite prophetic today and the second contains 4,5,6 sequence.

One bright white dove
flew over the country of England.
England had been locked down,
the key of the lock was broken.
How many blacksmiths it takes
to fix the lock?
Tell me that,
you sneezy brat.

--

One two three
in my pants there was a flea.
Four five six
now I have an itch.

Happy Friday the 13th, all!
I jammed three tunes together from the key of A-major which all seem to find their melody lines from playing "off the chord."
I found it rather educational!

Season 456 and we are asked to bring a sequence of songs. This is a sequence. There are songs. So ipso facto a Sequence of Songs. I call this Gran's Piano Stool Sequence . Gods bless Mama Darby, she gave me the music bug ! (I wish she'd gived me a dollop of her talent to go with LOL) . These are the type and genre of song that little CeeJay cut his ukulele teeth on , next door to others like some Beatles songs and others, but mostly these Tin Pan Alley and Music Hall types. These are three of my faves, though I have to confess to having to read a chord and lyric sheet for the first song , Sunny Side of the Street. So to recap, there's a story, there's some songs ,a piano stool a uke and a madman....should be okay for the season methinks.

Last edited:
I thought that since I'd started the sequence from Flood, I might as well continue it. Also, this gave me an excuse to try out the glockenspiel I bought on a whim the other week. Not that I can play it, but I don't see why that should stop me :).

The creative process: A sequence The Wolves by Mandolin Orange
1. Read about a song by Mandolin Orange and how it affected someone.
2. Listened to the song and thought it was about a pioneer woman's struggles.
3. Got the idea that the woman in question was the statue of Liberty.
4. Understood who the wolves were.
5.Sung the song and produced the video

Last edited:
When I saw the theme, I was convinced I could write a song about the Fibonacci sequence, but all week the idea drifted tantalizingly in and out of my mind, without forming any particularly useful shape. Then last night, I woke up in the middle of the night with the chorus going around my head. I wrote it out with some notes as to how verses might go. Then, this morning, I hammered the whole thing into shape.

Unfortunately, during recording, I fluffed a line (corrected in the subtitles), but I have guests coming for lunch and I'm cooking, so haven't got time to re-record it.

Anyway, I hope you like:

It's not 456 on the tracklist ,but it is from the Album that I discovered one bored afternoon sifting through me Dad's records....oh boy...I'd heard about Glenn Miller and Swing, but never heard Glenn Miller and Swing......hooked , instantly....tracks 3, 4 and 5 on the cover. That B and O Beomaster and Beogram worked those Beovox that afternoon !!

I have a late entry to share. Last night we had a great Zoom gathering and our new Seasonista, Edwin (jtsteam) was there as well. Edwin was the one who posted the TMBG songs from the album, Flood, shown above. In the course of the yakking, mention was made of Apollo18, an album featuring a giant squid battling a sperm whale on the cover. This sparked some excitement in my brain this morning to learn the crazy bunch of mini-songs collectively called FINGERTIPS from that album. There is a whole interesting concept behind the inclusion of all these miniature songs on the album, but I will leave that for discussion in the comments, if someone wants to go there.

Anyway, may I present you the mother of all mini-sequences, FINGERTIPS by THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS....

I chose to pick two songs that I can't think of one without the other. I first learned these songs at our local ukulele meetup with Houkulele. I can't hear them without fond memories of a better time and bit of hopefulness that we will someday all play music together again. Thanks to Kevin Griffin for adding his lovely harmonies and electric baritone ukulele that blends so well with my voice and my electric/acoustic soprano.

In 1975, I bought my first Willie Nelson LP, The Red Headed Stranger, and I still think it's my favourite of his. I used it to put my twin sons to sleep when they were newborns and I recall them coming home from school and saying, "Hey Papa, Willie Nelson got killed!"
When I appeared shocked, they delivered the punch line: "He was playing On The Road Again."
Darcy played in a band that did a tour opening for Willie a few years ago.

Here are songs 5 and 6 from side one of The Red Headed Stranger,
Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain, by Fred Rose and The Red Headed Stranger by Carl Stutz & Edith Lindman
The album cover is over my left shoulder.
The red headed stranger was actually from Blue Rock, not Black Rock. . .my mistake. A few other fluffs, but this was "Take 4" and I have other things to do.
Blue eyes picture.jpg Red headed picture.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, my favorite band is the Clash. And I love their album London Calling.

Pretty much any sequence of three songs on that record would work for me. Here's the 3rd song...

And here's the 5th song on London Calling...

This is also one of the first songs I would play over and over again when I first got a ukulele. I don't know how it never made it to the Seasons until now. Heh.

After the short timer unit of the days of the week and the longer units of the seasons follows a man's life as a sequence of events. Grandfather's clock is a constant companion. The seconds tick away simultaneously with the man's heart.

Top Bottom