Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PONO Baritone NUI 23in Scale Strings

I have a LfdM baritone that is a large body with a scale length of 22-1/2”. Not exactly like your Pono Nui but close enough. I have done a lot of string experimenting and helped Luis develop a string set for that instrument.

Don’t be afraid to try regular baritone string sets on your Pono. I have used both the D’Addario titanium baritone set and Martin M630 baritone sets with good results. Because you have a non-standard instrument it will take a little or a lot of string trials to get what you like. Especially because you don’t like high tension, which helps to drive the top and gave you that great sound when new.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Quote Originally Posted by DLB View Post
    (...) The NUI still feels "choked" if that makes any sense. That said, I'm continuing the search and will try low tension fluorocarbon classical strings next. It's all a learning process
    That does make sense to me. Sounds to me like the tension might be too high, resulting in muting the strings quickly and thus "choking". I can only repeat my suggestion to try fluorocarbon strings. Dave is right: You might try a regular baritone set (that is long enough) and slowly tune it up to DGBE. While doing that with my own Pono Baritone Nui, I noticed that a really sweet spot for it might be a full note lower, CFAD.

Good luck with your search!

[QUOTE=DownUpDave;2254774]I have a LfdM baritone that is a large body with a scale length of 22-1/2

@DownUpDave: I'll do that. Scouring the net now for low tension Bari fluorocarbon---if that exists. Thanks for your input!

Hello again, Rake It worked!!! CFAD! Like a girdle cutting the bari's circulation just snapped off the NUI and she breathes. It's much warmer, resonant, and 'airy'. My fingers love it too. Yes, fluorocarbons (classical and bari) are a certainty for the next set.

Quote Originally Posted by DLB View Post
    @DownUpDave: I'll do that. Scouring the net now for low tension Bari fluorocarbon---if that exists. Thanks for your input!

Hello again, Rake It worked!!! CFAD! Like a girdle cutting the bari's circulation just snapped off the NUI and she breathes. It's much warmer, resonant, and 'airy'. My fingers love it too. Yes, fluorocarbons (classical and bari) are a certainty for the next set.
    The Martin M630 is a fairly low tension set. The wounds are standard diameter but the florocarbon B & E strings are smaller in diameter then most others. Smaller diameter will yield less tension.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    The Martin M630 is a fairly low tension set. The wounds are standard diameter but the florocarbon B & E strings are smaller in diameter then most others. Smaller diameter will yield less tension.
    The smaller diameter makes sense. Appreciate this. I'll order the Martin's this week.

Thread Information