PONO Baritone NUI 23in Scale Strings

DLB

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I'm seeking any insights. I've just received a NUI---which I adore! I noticed immediately that the stock strings had a higher tension which I'm unaccustomed to. Still, I kept playing. Needless to say, a string snapped. I also noticed it was more difficult to strum at this tension.

My LGS suggested Ernie Ball classical strings for a more comfortable tension. Now though, the sound is dull, not as loud, and there's hardly any sustain. Also, the G string is unwound and sounds the worst. Even to me, a beginner, the sound quality is devastating and really deadened my initial joy for receiving this instrument.

I've browsed older threads (circa 2014) regarding string recs for NUIs. Southcoast strings came highly recommended and my condolences for the owner's passing. Other than Southcoast, others generally recommended standard baritone strings but I'm seeking less tension, more butter feel and ease on the fingers.

Can anyone link me sets that they recommend (classical or baritone)? I'm afraid to ask this---but, generally, with the NUI---will seeking the 'right' string be far more difficult than if I settled on a standard scale length baritone?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

D

So I just found a couple more threads on 23 inch scale strings. The different gauges, different makers, mixing, etc. have me up in arms. It's a foreign language. Just want to reiterate I'm a beginner and ideally, for now, looking to buy ONE set vs. mix and match. Any new discoveries since Patrick Madsen's thread in 2019?

Thanks! I will do that ASAP.

I have a 23" scale Thomas baritone and previously a Pono 23" scale.I use Thomstic-Infeld CF35 for D CF30 for G and Savarez trebles. I used to use the Savarez unwound G for the B and Savarez B for the E. Last string change I used the Savarez B for the B and E for the E. Seemed to Resonate a bit better.

This is what we use for a 20" baritone scale also. THe T-I CF 35 is an A string and CF30 is a D string. Am about to try regular nylon guitar strings for a bit lower tension. There are short scale guitar strings that should work also.

I really like the longer 23" scale too.

I have a 23" scale Thomas baritone and previously a Pono 23" scale.I use Thomstic-Infeld CF35 for D CF30 for G and Savarez trebles. I used to use the Savarez unwound G for the B and Savarez B for the E. Last string change I used the Savarez B for the B and E for the E. Seemed to Resonate a bit better.

This is what we use for a 20" baritone scale also. THe T-I CF 35 is an A string and CF30 is a D string. Am about to try regular nylon guitar strings for a bit lower tension. There are short scale guitar strings that should work also.

I really like the longer 23" scale too.

Thanks, Patrick!

So to confirm:

D: https://www.stringsbymail.com/thoma...MIy-Tq25_y7AIViobACh2D3gBJEAQYASABEgJOSvD_BwE

G: https://www.stringsbymail.com/thoma...tring-d-030-chrome-steel-flat-wound-2481.html

B: https://www.stringsbymail.com/savar...bles-nt-classical-guitar-treble-set-4175.html

E: ^^^ Only need to purchase the above set for both the B & E.

Please report back on the regular nylons whenever you try them out :)

Last edited:
You might want to call Strings by Mail and ask what they would recommend. It seems as though Nylon guitar strings are what you are looking for with maybe a wound G. But I know nothing about guitars or their strings. The folks at SBM are easy to talk to and more than willing to make recommendations.

Did some checking DLB.A 23" scale is rated a 3/4 size guitar (22-24") so any nylon 3/4 stringset should work. D'Addario EJ27N 3/4 Student Nylon Fractional is a 3/4 size string. This would end up with an unwound third string.

I used to put on a g string for the B and B string for the E. My last string change I went with a B for the B and E for the E to see if it would resonate better; I think it does.

First two are correct the Savarez are different.I looked up my last bill and this is what I bought. I'm adding a G string in case you feel it's to floppy. Last time I spoke with Joel, he thought it was a good combo.

This is for a wound 3rd set. If you want an unwound third, try the D'Addario set above.

T-I. CF35, CF30. Savarez Alliance KF 541R, 542R, 543R(optional). Will do and same for you if you write Joel. I get mine from StringsbyMail.com. They have the D'Addarios too

Last edited:
Did some checking DLB.A 23" scale is rated a 3/4 size guitar (22-24") so any nylon 3/4 stringset should work. D'Addario EJ27N 3/4 Student Nylon Fractional is a 3/4 size string. This would end up with an unwound third string.

I used to put on a g string for the B and B string for the E. My last string change I went with a B for the B and E for the E to see if it would resonate better; I think it does.

First two are correct the Savarez are different.I looked up my last bill and this is what I bought. I'm adding a G string in case you feel it's to floppy. Last time I spoke with Joel, he thought it was a good combo.

This is for a wound 3rd set. If you want an unwound third, try the D'Addario set above.

T-I. CF35, CF30. Savarez Alliance KF 541R, 542R, 543R(optional). Will do and same for you if you write Joel. I get mine from StringsbyMail.com. They have the D'Addarios too

Whew! Glad you caught the incorrect Savarez strings. I'm going to order that exact set today.

Great point on the 3/4 strings. I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks again for your help, Patrick. I'll be in touch :)

Hey Patrick,

Just reaching out again to say the NUI is strung w/ the exact strings you recommended. They feel far better than what was on the NUI originally that's for sure! So thanks again for all your help.

To me, I think I'm not used to this scale length nor added tension to compensate for scale length. I miss vibrato and bending notes. My previous uke was a 19" scale Favilla. The NUI still feels "choked" if that makes any sense. That said, I'm continuing the search and will try low tension fluorocarbon classical strings next. It's all a learning process :)

Last edited:
I have a LfdM baritone that is a large body with a scale length of 22-1/2”. Not exactly like your Pono Nui but close enough. I have done a lot of string experimenting and helped Luis develop a string set for that instrument.

Don’t be afraid to try regular baritone string sets on your Pono. I have used both the D’Addario titanium baritone set and Martin M630 baritone sets with good results. Because you have a non-standard instrument it will take a little or a lot of string trials to get what you like. Especially because you don’t like high tension, which helps to drive the top and gave you that great sound when new.

(...) The NUI still feels "choked" if that makes any sense. That said, I'm continuing the search and will try low tension fluorocarbon classical strings next. It's all a learning process :)

That does make sense to me. Sounds to me like the tension might be too high, resulting in muting the strings quickly and thus "choking". I can only repeat my suggestion to try fluorocarbon strings. Dave is right: You might try a regular baritone set (that is long enough) and slowly tune it up to DGBE. While doing that with my own Pono Baritone Nui, I noticed that a really sweet spot for it might be a full note lower, CFAD.

Good luck with your search!

@DownUpDave: I'll do that. Scouring the net now for low tension Bari fluorocarbon---if that exists. Thanks for your input!

Hello again, Rake :) It worked!!! CFAD! Like a girdle cutting the bari's circulation just snapped off the NUI and she breathes. It's much warmer, resonant, and 'airy'. My fingers love it too. Yes, fluorocarbons (classical and bari) are a certainty for the next set.

@DownUpDave: I'll do that. Scouring the net now for low tension Bari fluorocarbon---if that exists. Thanks for your input!

Hello again, Rake :) It worked!!! CFAD! Like a girdle cutting the bari's circulation just snapped off the NUI and she breathes. It's much warmer, resonant, and 'airy'. My fingers love it too. Yes, fluorocarbons (classical and bari) are a certainty for the next set.

The Martin M630 is a fairly low tension set. The wounds are standard diameter but the florocarbon B & E strings are smaller in diameter then most others. Smaller diameter will yield less tension.

The Martin M630 is a fairly low tension set. The wounds are standard diameter but the florocarbon B & E strings are smaller in diameter then most others. Smaller diameter will yield less tension.

The smaller diameter makes sense. Appreciate this. I'll order the Martin's this week. :)

Top Bottom