Eastman EU3T Tenor Ukulele - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
That really is stunning. I can understand why people like these Eastmans so much. I do wonder what kind of mahogany they're specifically made out of when they have that kind of flaming. The gloss finish helps there of course.

That brighter sound reminds me of the aNueNue African Mahogany models (AMM2 and AMM3). Those have that bright and crisp edge on the sound as well while still retaining the typical warmth of mahogany. I really like these classy, almost vintage looking mahogany ukes that still feel modern in certain ways.

Yes - reminds me very much of the AMM models - totally get that.

Somebody said to me earlier something I really agree with - these sound like a tenor really should sound - something away from the more modern trend for tenors to try to sound closer to guitars.

Very much agree!

After reading the review I went to their website to look at the range: three ukes differing mostly in size! I rather admire the restraint (although not the tuners for the soprano and concert). A far cry from the jumble of models from some brands.

I think that does say a lot - agreed - not trying to re-invent the uke with silly artist endorsements and the like. Just three traditionally made ukes that stand on their own.

I agree on the tuner choice for sop and concert. I keep going back to pics of this tenor and convincing my own brain that I scored it too low!

I love it!

I think that for this kind of figuring and colour Eastman uses "Chinese Mahogany" (toona sinensis). South American and African mahogany types don't look like that. Likely my solid mahogany Gretsch uke is also made of this wood as it is quite red and has striking figure on the back.

Last edited:
Yeah - could be - although there are some American flamed mahoganies - used to call them 'fiddleback mahogany'?

Gawd that thing's gorgeous! :drool:

...Somebody said to me earlier something I really agree with - these sound like a tenor really should sound - something away from the more modern trend for tenors to try to sound closer to guitars. ... ...
It's certainly a lovely instrument and well worth its price. However, it's not for me. I prefer a warmer sounding tenor. To me, when a vocal will be accompanied by ONLY a tenor uke, a warmer sounding tenor focuses the audience's attention on the singer whereas a brighter tenor tends to compete with the singer.

I bought a EU3T (after seeing Baz’s review) and absolutely love it.
Guess i’ll never sell this one.
I wonder, did they stop making ukes at Eastman?

I bought a EU3T (after seeing Baz’s review) and absolutely love it.
Guess i’ll never sell this one.
I wonder, did they stop making ukes at Eastman?
I was told they had, but not sure how true that is.

Top Bottom