NUD - 2014 The Rebel Tiramisu thin body concert

TQuest

Reaction score
I wasn't able to find much info about this model on UU or other sites but have learned that this is The Rebel's first production model, dated 2014. I couldn't even find this model on The Rebel's website, but was able to find a hidden page about it on their site from a Google Search and more info from an October 6, 2015 post on their Facebook page.

This Tiramisu is solid mahogany with a maple neck and headstock. I think the neck and headstock are carved from a single piece of maple. The sides are definitely a single piece of mahogany as there is no seam on the bottom - I find this feature impressive. It does not have The Rebel label, but has a stamp in the sound hole with the company logo, name and "Ukoustic 2014". The fret markers are round, not the triangular logo they use now. And I have measured it at 37.76mm deep - according to some reviews, the current Creme Brulee and Cheesecake models are 47mm deep. Very pleased with the used condition as there is only one small noticeable ding on the back.

According to the seller, it was purchased on a trip to Hawaii in 2014 or 2015 "from The Ukulele Site shop on the other side of the island from Honolulu." It came with the same art deco style The Rebel bag that all their ukuleles come with, but the seller said they had to purchase the bag separately for an additional cost.

The four tuners were slipping very badly upon first inspection and none of the strings would hold at the proper pitch for more than a few seconds. I thought the tuners might need replacement, but when I finally had a chance to remove the old strings and inspect them closely, it turns out they just needed to be properly tightened. By the way, these tuners look almost exactly like the friction tuners on my 2018 Koaloha Opio Spruce concert but without the Koaloha logo silkscreened on them.

I had the 2nd half of a set of Worth Clear Light lying around after I just put them on my Ohana CK-35, so I threw them on this ukulele after adjusting the tuners. This string set is already very bright and I think combined with the thin body of this ukulele make it sound a little too harsh to my ears. I will try to let them settle in for a week before switching - I've got new pack of Oasis Bright that will go on next.

Action is very low at 2.25mm. But I really like the string spacing as I measure it at 42.88mm at the saddle and 34.4mm at the 12th fret -really comfortable to my beginner fingers for finger picking.

IMG_6033.jpgIMG_6025.jpgIMG_6037.jpgIMG_6030.jpgP1100471.jpg

That is incredible, who did or built it first, he must be so smart coming up with something like this.

If your tuners are slipping, a source of that is likely the screws on the top of the button need to be tightened. I keep a small screwdriver in my uke case in case it happens when I'm not at home. Perhaps you knew that. Those look to be high quality tuners, too.

Beautiful uke, I like thin body instruments.

Top Bottom